This Disappears When Logged In

Questions about the Dragon I'm getting tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by mad_professor99, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad_professor99

mad_professor99 Elite Member

I know it's best to have the habitat ready for the animal before you go get them, but I haven't had the money or resources available, so I'm getting the BD and the setup all at once. But unlike with my iggy, I did my research. But I do have a couple of questions...

1.) Diet - I've read both crix/worms AND greens. I've got that down. But just making sure about my thoughts. By "greens," I'm assuming I am okay feeding her the same greens I give to my iguana. Mustard, Collard, Turnip, Parsely. Do they need green beans as well? I've got the well-balanced ig diet down...should I just give them the same thing? And if so, I haven't read about giving beardies veggies...do they need those, too? And if so, same as an iguana? Just let me know...I think I've got it, but I want to make sure.

and 2.) Substrate - I know that impaction is a big problem, and so a lot of people go with just newspaper for their beardies...same as I do for all my lizards. But my question is this. I've talked to some people (not pet store people) who have told me that bigger dragons can have real fine sand in there. Is there ANYTHING I can put in there for a baby bearded that is safe AND gives the habitat that natural look? I think a natural look would be best for where I'm putting the enclosure, and just wondering if there's anyway around the newspaper/paper towels...probably not, but it was worth a question.

Thanks for any help you've got for me. If I get no response by tomorrow I will just assume I can give her the same greens as Camille the Iguana, and that I should just stick to paper towels and newspaper...thank you much.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    The diet that you feed your iguana would be fine for the bearded dragon. (Just remember to add the insects!)

Baby Beardeds are far more likely to get an impaction than an adult. With that said, you can use pretty much anything you want as a substrate so long as it can't be injested. lol
    So, that leaves you with newspaper,paper towel, linoleum, slate, butcher paper, etc.

Sand, repti bark, etc. are not suitable.

4. Shoobly

Shoobly Elite Member

I use a tan-colored non adhesive shelf liner for substrate in my baby beardies cag. It looks nice, it's easy to clean, and it's pretty cheap. I got a roll of it for $5 @ Wal-Mart. As far as veggies for beardies, check out this website for a complete list of nutritious beardie foods: Beautiful Dragons! It's a "Bible" for beardie owners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.