This Disappears When Logged In

Questions About Corn Snakes As Pets... HELP

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by paleogeek, Jul 22, 2014.

1. paleogeek

paleogeek Member

Hello everyone,

I have been researching corn snakes for a while now as a pet for my 13 (soon to be 14) year old daughter. She has been begging me for a snake for a while now, and we have gone to reptile shows to see them. Is a corn snake a good pet for her? When looking for one, should there be a certain size they should be or a certain age that would be ideal to get? Also, male or female, temperament and size wise?

My daughter was looking at morphs as well and she liked the normal, okeetee, and Miami, so what would be the appropriate prices for these?

Now also for heating, would it be better to get a heat lamp, heat pad, or both? I have seen many contradicting care sheets and books on this topic of heating.

Any extra help, tips, and advice would be wonderful!

We live in mentor, ohio, so if there are any good reptile shows nearby besides the Cleveland one, they would be good to know about.
    Thanks, and please help!

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center! A Corn Snake would be a great pet for your daughter. I guess you'll just have to consider what you plan on doing with the snake once your daughter goes off to college in a few years.
    Corn Snake Caresheet (Pantherophis guttatus)
    Reptile Shows - Expos
    if you scroll down to August 2014 you'll see there are a few show options for Ohio.