This Disappears When Logged In

Question

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Horselover, Oct 17, 2011.

?

What was your first pet?

1. Snake

4.0%
  2. Gecko

12.0%
  3. Lizard

24.0%
  4. Frog

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Turtle

12.0%
  6. Tortoise

4.0%
  7. Something Furry

44.0%
  1. thefish3341

thefish3341 Active Member

While I do not have experience keeping either garters or ribbon snakes, I would be very careful if you choose to feed them prey from the wild. You can't be sure of the parasites and pesticides that these eggs/animals are carrying which would be passed on to your snake. Another thing to consider is that the f/t mice on the market offer snakes a complete nutritional diet. If you choose not to feed your snake mice, you would have to take extra care to make sure your snake has a nutritionally balanced diet.

2. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

What about feeder fish, night crawlers, and crickets from the pet store?

3. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

Me personally not trying to sound like a butt or anything but if you cant handle the thought of what a snake eats i'd just move on and find another reptile you like. Not many eat insects.. Insects are more like a lizard thing.. Well some lizards anyways. It's part of the food chain... Only if you know what they did to rabbits,cows,chickens ect.. They are VERY INHUMANE!! So unless you are vegan then we are all inhumane in a way.. Just some thoughts.. Please dont take it the wrong way..

4. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

^ Personally, when people get weirded out by what snakes eat/ how they kill... I always refer to what and how dogs and cats kill. Cats in particular are nasty and they do it for fun! I love cats, mind you, but it's just the truth. Your cute fluffy kitten is one of God's finest killing machines and if given the opportunity it will rampage through your yard killing whatever it can (and never quick and painless... no, it has to torture it just for laughs first), even when it doesn't need to do so (since it's already being fed by you). On the contrary, a snake will only kill when it is hungry or actively defending itself... never just for kicks. That's the kitty cat MO. Cats are much nastier killers than snakes.

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I agree with what count and ghostie said. The barn cats I've seen eating field mice have some very creative ways of playing with their victims before eventually killing and eating them (and not always in that order). If you have a sick fascination with nature like I do it's kind of fun to watch. Plus I'd much rather have kitties than a bunch of mice running around terrorizing the horses.
    Every animal has its purpose in the world. For mice and rats that are bred specifically as feeders, it's to provide excellent nutrition for my serpent friends.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Garter Snake Forum
    Check this website out, it seems a good place to get info on garter snake care and feeding.
    Also i dont beleive you have to hibernate them unless you plan on breeding.
    But there are differant opinions on that topic.
    Garters are in my opinin still pretty high maintenence, but no more than say water dragons.
    Just have to be very carful with diet, because they are prone to nutritional disorders.
    Kind of like most insectivorous lizards.
    And yes, cats are quite cruel to their prey!

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I would definitely not classify a water dragon as a beginner lizard, so that means garters probably aren't for people who have never kept snakes before. Also, recent research has shown that garters are mildly venomous. Dunno if that would make a difference on someone's choice to keep one.

8. SublimeShine

SublimeShine Well-Known Member

Ribbon snakes eat fish

9. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

I don't mind fedding a mouse to a snake, my dad does. Eating bugs means small snake, and dad would morelikly ignore that than a dead mouse thawing on the counter. He won't let me have a bird or a tarrantula or a crestie or a .... anything. So I need a snake thats inconspicuous but will still freak out my friends ;)

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I still don't understand why he would let you keep a small snake that eats bugs, but won't allow a crested gecko that eats crested gecko diet!:confused:

Some people want total control and are not interested in listening unless its their idea!
    How old are you by the way?

11. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

I don't know, maybe it's something that the reaction varies from person to person, but I can say from personal experience I've been chewed on by more garters than I care to count, and it is the least painful snake bite i've experienced, virtually painless.

12. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

Mld, what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Freaking your friends out is an EXTREMELY poor excuse for owning a snake.
    To properly care for an oppertunistic species like garters, you will need to house all these feeders, ie fish, worms, and such and such.
    Your age and maturity is showing, which means you are not ready for reptiles as a pet, in my opinion.

Rich is looking forward to the upgrade because Rich REALLY likes this post!
    (The upgrade allows users to "like" individual posts like you can on FB.)

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Amen!

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

2nd the Amen!!!!!

16. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

Okay. I'm done joking. I know everyone thinks I have a poor sense of humor. I tink that people fear what they don't understand. I want to show my friends what amazing creatures snakes are. I may be thirteen, but I kept a hamster alive for two and a half years and I have four cats. Is this what your going to do, judge based on how old I am? I'm not a liar, or a cheater, or a delinquent. I asked for your advise, not a court hearing.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A few points:

1 - Nobody accused you of being a liar, cheater, or delinquent. Merely of showing that mentally, you don't seem prepared for a reptile. Posts suggesting that you want a snake so you can freak your friends out, stating that you're trying to sneak it past your dad. I seriously doubt you have the funds to pay for a vet visit (which your wild caught ring neck snake will absolutely need.), and probably can't rely on parental help. This means that your are UNABLE or UNWILLING to provide PROPER care for the snake. That is what is earning you the "Immaturity" rating here. You want the snake, but you are not interested in what is best for the snake, nor are you interested in doing it right. I sincerely hope you don't expect us to adore such a decision.

2 - A wild-Caught snake has zero attributes in common with a domestic cat or hamster. Caring successfully for animals with generations of documented husbandry practices by means of domestication does not in any way prepare you to take on a wild-caught snake, or for that matter, any snake. Ask anyone here what they would advise you to do before getting ANY animal, and the answer, almost unanimously will be this "TONS OF RESEARCH". We hear LOTS of sad stories from people who decided to acquire animals on impulse, and the animal dies as a result of an ill-prepared owner.

3 - Most of us are here because we want what is best for the reptile. We are honest, even when it hurts. If you don't like what you are hearing, then stop asking for advice you don't want and won't take. If you are genuinely interested in the care of reptiles, listen to some of these people. Many of them have more years of experience than your lifespan and mine combined! They aren't just making this stuff up to annoy, or bully you. Assuming that they are just because you don't like what you are hearing is another juvenile response.

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think what alot of members are saying, do your research first! Then pick some type of reptile that is not wild caught and that is a beginner type of reptile. "Captive Breed"
    Just remember that you are living under your parents/fathers roof and you should respect his wishes. I personally would have no problem with having my daughter have reptiles at your age, but I would make sure that she did plenty of research first. I would probably quiz her, and also would want to know everything I would need to know. There will be times that she will be gone, like during school, at a friends and when you bring an animal/reptile into your house its just not your responsibility but the whole families. There will be vet bills, food, proper setup of an enclosure.
    Prove to your parents that your are responsible enough to get one, also remember that attitude plays a big part in showing your responsible.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Further, Age has very little to do with responsibility. Search these forums, and you'll find a number of threads where members are completely exasperated with adults (many old enough to be our parents) who are completely reckless and irresponsible with their reptiles. You will also find threads form members boasting about their kids, and how well they do with reptiles.

You are only as mature as you choose to be. You can be immature at age 12, as well as age 112!

I know some adults I wouldn't trust with any reptile at all, even a stuffed dead one, and I know some teenagers who would probably be fine with all but the largest of my snakes, and that one only because she is beast to handle, and could easily overpower a small or careless person. and has a tendency to bite faces.

20. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unless your family goes to the butcher shop every day for fresh cut meat, then you also eat frozen/thawed items regularly. It isn't gross at all when you do it, so why would it be gross for the snake?

Just a note, please stop writing-words-like-this. I have seen it several times in various posts.

Your mom is clealy not educated on how they euthanize rodents.