This Disappears When Logged In

Question

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by garrard88, Jun 4, 2011.

1. garrard88

garrard88 Member

Hey im new to this site and i was wondering how big do male burmese pythons get.

2. garrard88

garrard88 Member

And where can you get already built cages at

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I think they can be as big as 16 feet, maybe larger?

5. garrard88

garrard88 Member

I heard they only get around 10-11 feet

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

If you are planning to get one of these animals...I highly recommend doing large amounts of research first. These animals, while mostly gentle and beautiful, can get very large and heavy. My male is around 12 -13 feet long and currently weighs about 85 pounds. They are definitely not a beginner snake and require a lot of work as well as a second and possibly even a third person close at hand when handling/moving to another enclosure to clean cages. Also, keep in mind that they defecate...A LOT! I am not trying to discourage you but I just want you to realize that if you don't know how big they get, much more research is needed before you go out and buy or rescue one. Responsible keeping is very important in order to keep negative stories from making headlines and giving snake hates even more ammunition to shoot us down.

Good luck and if/when you do get a Burm, please stay here to get the advice you require for EXPERT husbandry skills that these beautiful giants need and deserve.

8. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

in the wild they don't get much larger than that... captivity with weekly feedings, 15 feet is probably a bigger male. you can stretch the feeding out on these (once they are a few years old) and keep him around 10 I bet

9. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I totally agree !
    I dont think I will ever own one, just because of those reasons. They are amazing however and will always enthrall me!
    Im all about responsible keeping especially with the big guys/girls!

10. garrard88

garrard88 Member

I went to petco today and they had this reptile rally and this dude had about 10 foot albino burn and wieghed 20 pounds and wasn't very big.burns are what got me really big and ball pythons and boas im never been scared of snakes.and im still learning I stay on hear 24/7.

11. garrard88

garrard88 Member

And he said that's as big as males get.

12. garrard88

garrard88 Member

I guess I will stay with ball pythons for no im not ready and my parents don't have much money because of japan earthquake and, y mom works at Honda and its effecting the parts so I will sat with balls for now drooling of burns hopefully one day.

13. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

I don't think I'd trust the dude at Petco. 20 lbs sounds a little light to me if I'm not mistaken! (Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Male Burm by nature are
    smaller and lighter than the females(females need the extra size and weight to be able to lay all those eggs). When I got my pair of Burms, the male was 10 feet long and weighed 25 pounds. The person I rescued them from was afraid of him and thought the male was tracking him to attack him. A few years and a much more reliable diet later and my beautiful boy is now at through size he is. The main thing to remember is that in captivity, with a steady diet and no natural enemies, they will continue to gain size and weight. They are capable of reaching a couple hundred pounds aghost)nd have the germ of a telephone pole. I tend to keep my feeding for the Burms at a somewhat erratic pace as they are less likely to get complacent (they are by no means starved though), just kept at a more realistic schedule of 10 or so meals a year.

15. Yeti

Yeti Member

Do as much research as possible before even considering this for a pet, my new albino female is 2 years old 8 feet and 30 pounds.

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hi

I have a 15 foot male Albino Burmese. I have him in a custom built enclosure. You can buy enclosures to house large constrictors, but they're available for more money than I was willing to pay. Remember that the smallest cage you could feasibly use would be half as long as your Burm's total length. So my Burm is housed in an enclosure that is 8 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 2 feet tall. Burmese pythons require lots of space. They are also really expensive to feed and as David said, produce lots of waste. The last time my burm defecated, it was about 2lbs of feces. They also produce a copious amount of fluids, thus their cages require frequent and thorough cleaning. There are also many places they are not legal to own, and just as many places where they require a permit to keep.

However, the aforementioned points aside, they are for all intents and purposes dangerous. Even the most docile burm is still a large unpredictable predator. It's irresponsible to handle them alone. Monty (my burm) is a 3 buddy snake--- one person for every five feet.

I think these are all really important things to consider before getting one.

To answer your question, I have been told from many reliable sources that males rarely grow longer than 15 feet. And as David said, females are typically (and in my experience always) larger and longer.

That guy at PetCo does not know what he's talking about and disseminating misinformation in this case is incredibly irresponsible. Further, that snake should have weighed more than 20 pounds in my opinion.

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

It's definitely a good idea to stick with the BPs for now :)