This Disappears When Logged In

Question for the real pro's here

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by KJ Rivas, Jan 21, 2015.

1. KJ Rivas

KJ Rivas Member

What is up with herpetologists and they're changing the scientific names of turtles and other species??!! Is it because some vain people want to dictate what creatures are called?
    Just because finding a certain trait in an animal is no reason to change its scientific name!! I honestly get tired of this!!! And it really confuses people who want to learn more about these creatures...A few examples:

Red eared slider: Pseudemys Scripta Elegans, Chrysemys Scripta Elegans, Trachemys Scripta Elegans.

All the big river and swamp cooters and sliders: Pseudemys, Chrysemys back to Pseudemys.

Alligator snapping turtle: Macrochelys Temminckii, Macroclemmys Temminckii.

Wood turtle: Clemys insculpta, Glyptemys insculpta

Western pond turtle: Clemys marmorata, Actinemys marmorata←The wood turtle, spotted turtle, bog turtle and western pond turtle ARE in the same family!! Clemys!! These four can interbreed, making them the same genus. Leave it alone!

I could go on and on and this happens with other types of animals, even their common, non-scientific names are being changed:

Red belly turtle, now 'northern red belly cooter'

My biggest complaint (not a herp): Baltimore oriole (bird) now called the "northern oriole". I always loved the original name of this wonderful song bird...

Damn!! STOP!!! Science is science, research them, find new traits, but don't change the genus, species or common names anymore.

OK, off my soap box...Just had to rant and let off some steam.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Lol, you have a point I think. While I really don't know enough about how stuff gets classified to say much, I do have to wonder how much vanity is involved in all this.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's not so much vanity as it is the way that animals are grouped together for scientific study.
    There have previously been assumptions made that species "A" is related to Species "B", so they place them in the same genus but a different species name.
    Then more knowledge is gained that shows that species A and B really aren't as closely related as previously thought. So they start shuffling them into the proper genus. This recently happened with ratsnakes. For example cornsnakes, previously Elaphe guttata were lumped together with all ratsnakes under Elaphe. Due to DNA testing it was determined that they really didn't belong in that category so the name was changed to Pantherophis guttata. Although many still use the old Elaphe nomenclature. It CAN get confusing.

4. KJ Rivas

KJ Rivas Member

Looks like too much research! In the case with clemy's, they all have the same traits and DNA and easily interbreed.

I think that corn snakes are the prettiest in the country. I had always wanted to keep one, but I could not sacrifice living mammals to feed them.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cornsnakes do not require live food. I have yet to meet one that would not take the commercially available frozen foods.

6. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Yeah, corns are nice. Mine loves a good frozen and thawed rodent. I have been interested in seeing how he reacts to live prey though.