This Disappears When Logged In

Question for all turtle owners!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by IGGYMAN6982, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGGYMAN6982

IGGYMAN6982 Elite Member

I have this weird thing happening everytime I clean my turtle's tank. 2 days ago I cleaned his tank completely, fresh water that is dechlorinated, and I even wash the objects in the tank. I don't use soap, just hot water. The first day the water is crystal clear, the second day it gets cloudy and there is a sudsy foam on the surface of the water against the walls of the tank. Has anyone experienced this before? And can that harm the turtle? I know it's not soap but it looks like it.
    At first I thought it was the food I've been feeding him. I feed him turtle sticks, turtle pellets, feeder fish, earth worms, wax worms, greens, and dried shrimp as a treat. Are any of these foods known to cause suds in the water?
    Maybe it could be from him defecating?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

LOL,,,,,I had the same problem with my spotted t's. I was changing the water everyother day it annoyed me so much. last thurs I bought the whisper filter 10i (in tank filter) and I still have the same water in the tank,,,,,crystal clear and odor free !!

3. IGGYMAN6982

IGGYMAN6982 Elite Member

Oh cool, I'll have to look into that because my filter hangs outside the tank and has the waterfall effect.

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

ya it happend to me all the time, it's called "new tank syndrome" it's when all the water is replaced and the ammonia levels are bouncing making the water cloudy.

-adam

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Ditto ken on this one, I have the same filters. Whenever possible only change 25% of the water, there is beneficial bacteria in the tank that helps break down waste products. You may want to throw a live plant (like a banana plant) in as well.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is hapening is when you replace a large amount of water you have a "bacterial bloom". This is what makes the water cloudy. As things level out the water clears. It is harmless, though annoying.

New tank syndrome is what happens when as you said you replace all the water destroying the nitrifying bacteria in the aquarium. However NTS takes effect about 4-6 weeks later. Ammonia in the water is clear and is not visible to the eye.

7. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

oh, well i guess i was wrong. Oh well, i tried :p hehe.

get a some of that water clearing stuff and stuff that solubolizes turtle wastes.

-adam

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes you did Adam! And you were very close!
    Don't feel bad I have had to explain the nitrogen cycle to adults that still looked at me and went HUH!

9. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I would get a fluval filter. I have one and it keeps the water crystal clear and it is more quiet than any filter I have ever owned. I would not suggest the hang out of the tank filters. The main reason is because the water level needs to be a certain height for it to work. I would use a canister or a submergible. hop I was a help.

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yoiu should look into a Python syphon system too. Trust me, its a turtle owner's best friend. Empties and refills the tub so fast, and no mess. I love it! Its worth the money.

11. IGGYMAN6982

IGGYMAN6982 Elite Member

Thanks guys, I'll have to purchase a submergable filter and I'm going to look into the python syphon because it takes about an hour to clean his tank the way I'm doing it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.