This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Smell

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by BeckyJ, Oct 4, 2011.

1. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I've noticed for the last few weeks that my rosy has a distinct scent that wasn't there before. She smells like a new bandaid. Weird, I know, but it's there. Other people have noticed it too. I thought maybe she had always smelled like this and I just hadn't noticed it before, but our new rosy doesn't have any kind of scent. Does anyone have any ideas why she might be smelling like this? Is it maybe just because she's so old (21).. kind of an "old snake smell"?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

She shed recently?

3. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

She started to smell like this before her last shed.. about a month ago now. I thought maybe it would go away after the shed, but it's still there.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Has anything been changed in the enclosure?
    What all is in the enclosure? I know some plastic ornaments can have a strange smell when they are new, particularly if exposed to heat.

5. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

There is nothing new in her enclosure. She has aspen shavings, about 4-6 inches deep, her (empty) water bowl (she likes to curl up between it and the glass), a resin log hide and a resin cave hide. Same things that have been in there for years and years. I removed her uth about 6 months ago when the cat chewed on the cord, and now only use a heat lamp, but that is the only thing that has changed since I switched from her old bedding (compressed newspaper pellets) to aspen in Feb.

Whatever is causing the smell, she seems to be no different than before, so I'm not worried too much. She did have a vet check back when I took Lazlo in for his bruised tongue, and she got a clean bill of health. The smell was noticible then, but the vet thought it might just be because she was due to shed soon. Obviously shedding hasn't "cured" it, so I'm stumped..

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

That is strange. Mine doesn't smell.

7. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I may be way off base here, but I remember reading some research earlier this year that German scientists had recently proven that some cancers can be determined by dogs with a keen sense of smelling..(basically the sniffing method relies on identifying so-called volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are linked to the presence of cancer.)....not to say that your snake has cancer or anything, or that anyone has the same keen smelling abilities that certain dogs do...I'm just stating that certain types of cancer do indeed have a distinct "smell" and that is a possible reason for the odor you are smelling.
    Again, I'm not saying that is what it is, just wanted to mention that possibility.

8. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

My son's rosy doesn't have any kind of a scent either.. that's what got me thinking about what might be causing her smell.

Interesting thought.. I wonder if the vet would be able to diagnose cancer in a snake....

9. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I figured out what's causing the smell.. it's the new bag of aspen! I tried to save a little money and buy big bag with a coupon I got from P**Co, instead of buying from the local pet shop as usual. Guess I won't be doing that again.. :mad:

Do you guys think I should ditch that bag and get good chips from the pet shop? Ones that don't stink like latex? I've still close to a years worth of aspen in that bag, but I don't want to use it if it is putting off harmful fumes..

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, aspen shavings don`t give off any toxic fumes, so they aren`t a health risk to the snake, I personally would continue to use them, unless you can`t stand the smell, of course!

11. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I know aspen is normally non-toxic. I'm just concerned that this batch may have been contaminated because the aspen I usually use has no scent.

12. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

That's very odd about the shavings. I use petco's small animal shavings all the time and they do have a smell, but it's always a nice tree smell. Maybe just a bad batch?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only smell aspen should have is a clean woody type of smell. If the shavings smell funny I would return it to the shop.
    There was a problem with the Kaytee brand of shavings a couple of years ago. I buy mine in the big bale sized bags and as soon as I opened it, I knew there was a problem.
    It wasn't aspen but pine! I knew the sell immediately and took it back. Myself and a manager went thru every bag of "aspen" shavings that they had and they were all pine.
    Needless to say they stripped them off the shelf right then and there.