This Disappears When Logged In

Question About MVB Bulbs and Extra Lights

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by bword, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Im currently researching to build a bigger cage for my IG. Few questions

1. Ive been reading about mvb bulb and some people say its better because it kills two birds with one stone. I thought the idea was to have a UVB bulb near the food and a heat lamp away from the food. If this is true is it okay to run a MVB bulb and the food away from it so it wouldnt get dryed out??

2. Would It harm my Iguana if I ran a extra light for atheistic purposes say a single blue neon bulb per say. Not trying to turn my cage into a rave club just wondering if I could.

3. Do they make MVB bulbs that dont put out massive amounts of light simliar to some heat lamps ive seen?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The MVB lamps such as "Megarays" and similar produce heat and light. The idea is to use this as the basking area, but if you put the foods directly under them they will dry up quicker than if you put the food on in the cooler spots. Depending on the size of the enclosure, you may need to install extra lighting, such as the Repti sun 2-0 fluorescent tube, low in UVB but close to natural daylight, (they only emmit light. not heat), or the daylight bulbs, but those only last a few weeks, as apposed to 6 to 9 months with the the tubes, (12 months for the Megaray).

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you put a 275watt Megaray close to the foods,they will dry up VERY quickly, because of the ammount of heat. (The 160w has a min distance of 12 inches from the animal, the 275w 21 inches).

5. bword

bword Well-Known Member

does the mvb bulb produce an insane amount of light?

6. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

No not really, probably the same amount as a standard light bulb or flood light of equal wattage. Save yourself time and money and do it right the first time around, go with a MVB of your choice and a 2.0 tube light.

7. bword

bword Well-Known Member

im sorry geo 2.0 tube light?

how far away should I build the top stair from the lid/lights

and does anyone have a suggestion on a roof mesh vs screen?

8. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Sorry, like a repti glo 2.0 fluorescent tube light. As for the MVB light anywhere between 12 and 18 inches, whatever the manufacture recommends. And a mesh top like a screen door blocks the majority of UVB so I'd go with something with bigger spacing for the light to get through.

9. bword

bword Well-Known Member

ive seen some people just mount/screw the fixtures to the roof on the inside and there is no screen. Can I just do that?

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Yes you can, providing you can make sure your IG cannot come into contact with the bulb. You are actually better off without the screen as it will filter UV, though the larger the screening the less filtering. I would still enclose it in the large mesh screening just to be on the safe side. You really do not want to deal with a major burn injury.

11. bword

bword Well-Known Member

no def dont want any cooked iguana..so ill figure out something with the larger screen.

lastly i was told in another post that heat lights that are colored IE- I was running a red heat lamp for a while but a few people told me it might mess him up and not allow him to sleep..do you guys agree with that?

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I do. Iguanas have a light sensing organ in the top of their heads. The parietal "eye".

You can put the bulb inside the enclosure but you will need to cage it in.
    Something like this IMG_0487.jpg

Attached Files:

13. bword

bword Well-Known Member

thats a ceramic right?

14. Merlin

Thats a che. I just showed that as an example of how to keep the animal away from the heat source.

15. bword

bword Well-Known Member

alright cool thanks merlin..I think I may get fancy and cut a circle on the roof and just put some wire mesh there. that way its nowhere's near the ig and its not going to take up any space in the cage.

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Like this:
    DSCN0626.jpg

Attached Files:

17. bword

bword Well-Known Member

precisely liz thank you. How far away should the top floor/shelf be from that?

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The minimum distance from the animal`s body with any of the self ballasted Megaray lamps is 12inches, so obviously the larger the iguana, the more distance bertween the face of the lamp and the actual shelf surface. Because these animals seek out the highest point in the enclosure, you only need to measure down from the lid.
    Tell me the normal temp in the room it`s going in, maybe I can work out what wattage would be sufficient. (Basking temp around 100 to 105f?)

20. Merlin

Stefan iguanas don't need it quite that warm.
    About 95 for a basking spot is fine.