This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Making Fake Rock

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Dragonscalestudios, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I am going to be making several fake basking rocks for my Beardie and had a question about grout. I have read everywhere to use non-sanded grout. I then saw someone sprinkling sand onto the grout after application. I was a bit confused.

Is there any reason in particular to use non-sanded vs. sanded grout?

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

The sand binds the grout better. For larger rocks, well any rock, a sanded grout would be a better choice. Non-sanded grout is usually used for more meticulous applications, ie small gaps in small tiles.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Remember to thin it out a little as well. You'll end up with a smoother look than using as is. It will take more coats but the end result is worth it.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I can't wait to see the end results!:) It sounds like it will take a lot of time and work, why don't you just use real rocks? Or are you like my husband who wants to make everything - like a hobby?

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Real rocks, increase the weight of the enclosure way too much. Also if they ever came loose there is a real danger of crushing or injuring the inhabitant.

But mostly it's the weight factor of it.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I see, my husband will agree with you 110% cause he is the one who needs to take out the rocks every time I want to clean.:rolleyes: Plus the darn feeders just love hiding under the rocks so cleaning happens much more often than what my husband likes.:p

(Ah well, it makes up for him not going to gym. evilgrin0046.gif )

Attached Files:

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You also have to consider that not everyone lives in an area where they can just go out and collect rocks that they want.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Now that is a strange insight, I never would have thought of that!:eek:

9. Dragonscalestudios

I do live in an area with an abundance of beautiful rocks that would work for this application. I am making my own for the control factor. I can control the color, size and weight of the rocks. I wanted to have enough rock in the 4'x2'x2' beardie enclosure for Smaug to have a lot of climbing space, I have constructed several quite large "jungle gym" type pieces out of styrofoam that I am going to cover with grout.

The main reason is weight.

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

hehe Boy, you are evil! (Not that I would not do the same ;))
    hahaha Well, in some places there are rocks, but it may be hard to find big ones.

Attached Files:

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I can certainly understand the weight concern. I'm sure when I get to a new tank for my skink I will be hefting rocks around. I can tell you - hubby will NOT be doing anything in my tanks. He has made it perfectly clear, they are my responsibility. (although is is taking a liking to the skink)

We live in a MAJOR rocky area - put a shovel in the ground.... ta da! Rocks. Big/small/pretty/ugly... you name it. I will probably just use real rocks, because I don't plan on using THAT many.

But do post pics on what you are working on, I like the jungle gym idea - and then I would want 'light' rocks. I think it's a real neat idea!!

12. Dragonscalestudios

Likely applying coats of grout tonight. My hectic work schedule is making it hard for me to complete these projects in a timely manner.

13. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I used grout for the golden's enclosure but I am having trouble with it cracking and chipping. I may have appllied it too thick (I am not patient enough to really thin it or apply more than 2-3 coats- shocking I know!) or it just doesn't adhere to the GS. I do love the way it looks and she climbs it with ease.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Sorry, I am still on about real rocks.:rolleyes: I thought about it and I must say that even after 3 years the rocks have still not become an issue for us. I love using real rocks because when ever they get bored with their cages I simply change the inside completely by re-ranging all the rocks to higher and lower etc. It keeps them busy for some time after that again.:D The other thing that I like about rocks is that it makes it much easier to get the right basking temp by just putting a higher or lower rock under it.

However, I love the idea of making fake rocks for my tarantulas cages, so please keep updating and if you can, step by step photos will be much appreciated!;)

15. Blader

Blader Well-Known Member

Many people use a non-sanded grout because it goes on thiner for a more delicate look that would be smother like real rock.. and i believe when you saw someone sprinkling on sand afterwards it was only on certain areas for grip.. like on stairs and climbing areas.