This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Gtp's

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by andys3ballpythons, Nov 20, 2010.

1. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

so every care/info sheet i have read says that they are a very aggressive snake? i eventually would love to have one, just wanted to know if that was true, i just know that %90 of the pythons that i have met are docile for the most part unless humans do something to aggrivate them, or they arent handled or fed enough. so what is the temperment of a gtp?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I know someone with one, he's still a baby, and too cute. But he is frisky, and not something that you want to be bitten by, their fangs are very long.

3. andys3ballpythons

so nippy as a baby which is understandable, do they ever calm with age?

4. mld

From what I've heard, they do keep that aggressive type of temperament, More of a snake to be viewed and not cuddled. But I don't own one myself. Gorgeous snake though, love the color changes also.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You cannot lump all python species in together as far as temperment.

6. andys3ballpythons

thats why i am asking, just wanted to know on average how they are

7. Merlin

Nasty!

8. JMM

JMM Elite Member

During the day, it depends a lot on the individual and how calm you are when handling them (if you let them crawl on your hands/arms, you´re just a warm tree); at night, most of them are on the agressive side.

Out of the 8 that I have at my place currently, with different ages and backgrounds, I can pick 3 from the terrarium directly using the hands without a problem - 2 of those are even ok to handle at night-; with 4 of them I remove the perch were they´re at or hook them out but are easily handled once outside and the 8th (the only import I keep)... well, let´s say I can only handle her if I restrain her head (lol).

Having said that, I should point out that I don´t handle them just because. I do it when needed (treatment, enhance a bowel movement, assist a shed) or every 15-21 days or so, just to check them out and be sure everything is ok.

As regards the bites, in my opinion they´re not as bad as people usually say. I have been bitten by a few GTPs (none of mine, curiously) and I never got anything closer to a bruise. Blood, of course (the teeth are sharp niddles) but nothing more than that.

9. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Just idle curiosity... obviously you need to be able to handle these snakes for feeding, vetting, etc... but would these be something that is just a look don't handle type of snake? Is there such a thing? (well I guess hot snakes fall into that category(?))

They are absolutely gorgeous - and will never be on my list (I'm not getting that deep into the snakes). But they are up there as one of my favorite 'mesmerizing' snake! I just LOVE their coiled perch!

10. JMM

JMM Elite Member

IMO most the snakes fall into the category "more to look than to handle". I don´t handle unless consider it necessary or at least beneficial, as stated above (I don´t handle just to show a snake to a visitor/fellow herper or something lke that).

These snakes are a "look don´t handle" in the first 6 to 9 months for sure due to their extremely fragile spines when young. They can be damaged for life (kinks) if improperly handled in that period.

11. Frognut

Thanks! :)

I have a corn snake and a BP, I do handle them sorta regularly - but not when people are around. I want to keep them used to being held and friendly. My corn is ALWAYS looking to get out of her tank.

I don't walk around the house with them over my shoulder - but if I'm sitting around watching a movie or something, I'll get one out (after I lock up the cats :eek:) and let him/her hang out for a little while. They are both much more relaxed in their tank then they were when I got them.

They are not afraid of people walking by or skittish if I'm cleaning the tank....

But I figured something like the Green Tree Python would be ... um... a bit different. They sure are stunning snakes!!!

12. mld

I agree very stunning snakes.
    JMM I think that since you have this type of snakes, we should see pictures of them just to make sure they are looking stunning!:-":xo:);)

13. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

We would like to get one as well, but due to their very "defensive" behaviors we're waiting until we're a bit more experienced with snakes. We have a red tail boa right now I can't even handle because he strikes all the time and is very defensive. So I figure until I can manage him, I shouldn't acquire another feisty species of snake. I love green tree pythons and I think they are a beautiful serpent that definitely deserves space and respect for sure.

14. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Michele,
    I posted some pics of a few of mine in this forum (maybe 3 or 4 threads before this one).
    I can post some others tomorrow if there is interest.

15. mld

I just go and have a look!

16. Merlin

LOL! Joao you ARE kidding right?
    You have some gorgeous animals! Of course there will be "interest";)

17. Frognut

WOW!! Merlin is not kidding.... GORGEOUS!

Now is it just the ones you have Joao, or do the yellow ones turn a darker green as adults then the ones that start out as maroon?

*Sigh* They really are absolutely beautiful snakes. But way past my abilities.

18. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Stephanie,

The ones that start yellow have more chances of becoming HY (high yellow), a "morph" - although not in the same sense as with ball pyhtons, because GTP don´t respect Mr Mendell... - than the maroons.

On the other hand, so far all the blues came from maroons and these also have more chances of going melanistic.

And go for them, they´re not as difficult to keep as usually said. Quite on the contrary, once their requirements are met and we start to "read" them they´re easygoing (just watch out for RI´s).
    So... get one!

Merlin,
    Thanks for the compliment.

To give you all an idea of how different they may be, I´ll show you a few of mine:

a) with yellow,
    1. Grizzly - 10 y.o. High Yellow male
    temperament - very mellow
    img5063small.jpg

2. Kimmie - HY female (still in the US waiting for the shipping papers...). Only 2,5 y.o so she may still get a few more green or blue scales (not much, I think and hope)
    picture taken by the breeder, Kim Burge
    kb0801.png

3. Banana Split -female, "Yapen Line", one of the oldest established European lines: strong green, pixels of yellow with electric blue
    temperament - ok outside the cage

as a baby

copyof200911041small.jpg

now
    20101031small.jpg

b) typical "localities"/"types"
    4. Dayak - male Aru (island south of Papua New Guinea):green + white
    temperament - very mellow
    jmonteiro0205106smlsmal.jpg

5. Diana - female Jayapura (North of East Papua): green + blue highlights
    temperament - ok outside the cage; defensive in the cage
    jmonteiro0205104smlsmal.jpg

usually with a nice blue tongue
    20100207011small.jpg

6. Faith - female Biak (island North of Papua), although this one is not very typical, because it has some yellows and black, which are not common together.
    temperament - ok outside the cage
    copyof201005231.jpg

c) something different
    7. Matahari, a Numphor female (island close to Biak) that is blue, with a green head (and green undertones) and a yellow belly
    temperament - evil

20101025medium.jpg

20100912008small.jpg

and has a strong grip
    20100912019small.jpg

and finally an overall look of the "wall", where I keep the adults
    terrarios481mediumt.jpg

There are others, but I think these give you an idea.

Attached Files:

19. mld

Joao,
    Wow, amazing snakes, all so beautiful and different!:x Definitely sunglass worthy:cool: Need a tissue to wipe up the drool! Great enclosures and decorated so nice with all the live plants. The colors really stands out with the black enclosures.
    Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.

20. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Thank you for the kind words, Michele