This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Flex Watt in Melamine Cage..

Discussion in 'Heating' started by sedecatur, Feb 22, 2013.

1. sedecatur

sedecatur New Member

Im building a Melamine cage for my JCP, Ill be heating with Flex watt. Question is, Can i put the flex watt inside the cage and cover it with a piece of glass with silicon around the glass to protect from moisture or does the flexwatt need air flow like an UTH would need? Thanks

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You never want to trap a heating device of any kind. Flex watt needs to have air circulation. If the heat were trapped it would eventually break the glass or could cause the tape to malfunction.

3. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

How would you advise doing it then? I have this same issue for when I build a nice melamine snake cage. A website that somebody linked on here said to simply silicone it to the floor on the inside so the snake couldn't get under it and to silicone the connections to insulate them from the humidity. Would that work or is that dangerous?

4. chawk

chawk Banned User

well they are mad just like the rewindow deforst on alot of cars they have to have one side open to air circulation or they will get to hot over time and break and if it breaks and shorts it can cause a fire. i don't think they need alot of air. some kind of "heat sink" like substrate to transfer the heat would also work but i am new to and that is my opinion
    most have enough room on the edges to use a staple gun to secure it just get it pretty tight so the snake cant fit under it
    silicone would work on the connections but liquid black tape is designed for stuff like this Attwood 4 oz Liquid Electrical Tape, Black: Sealants, Fillers & Adhesives : Walmart.com

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use heat tape in my rack setups and they have been routered into a channel and the animals never come into contact with it. I also use it on my 2 large snake setups and have it adhered to the bottom in a cutout, using aluminum tape. The design allows for air flow. I would be concerned with the snake actually resting on top of the heat tape itself. If you were able to router out a channel in the enclosure for the tape you could also create air vents coming in from the back of the enclosure. Then you could leave a 1/4 of space above the heat tape and silicone a piece of glass in. Air would be able to enter and dissipate through the opening the tape is inserted in. The tape itself wouldn't need silicone this way and the connectors would actually be under the glass itself, near the rear opening. (If that makes sense.)

6. Borjawil

Borjawil Member

I am having the same issue. Would it be safe to drill a bunch of holes in the floor of the cage and place the flexwatt over the holed area, then place a piece of plexiglass on top of the flexwatt and silicone the edges so it doesn't move?