This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Choice of UVB Lights

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Terp91, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

I'm in the process of designing a bearded dragon enclosure for a friend, it will have an entertainment center as the starting point. Internal dimensions I'm working with are 46"x23"x26" lwh. I read on a different forum that the UV output of a MVB is similar to a bright sunny day while a fluorescent tube bulb is more similar to being in the shade outside. First off is this comparison true and appropriate?

With this in mind, my plan is to use a 2 bulb 34" T5 fixture for lighting across the rear of the cage and then two ceramic sockets installed, one for basking and one for a CHE to maintain minimum temps using a thermostat. One of the T5 bulbs would be an Arcadia 12% and the other a standard 6500k bulb, while the basking bulb would be a MVB. My thought behind this is that the basking area would be similar to sitting in direct bright sunlight, while the rest of the cage outside of hides and cover would be equivalent to ambient daylight. Is this okay to do provided that the dragon can get out of range of the bulbs' UV output and that dark hides and cover are available?

I know normal fluoro bulbs (T8) are only useful for UVB output to around 12", but the lightyourreptiles website says in one place the Arcadia bulbs are advised to be used at 14-24" and in another that the reptile should be able to get within 12" so I'm a bit confused as to which is correct.

2. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

A mod/admin can feel free to delete this thread, my question was answered in another thread on bearded dragon forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.