This Disappears When Logged In

Question About American Alligator Feeding

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by Pending name change, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Pending name change

Pending name change New Member

My gator keeps throwing up his chicken gizzards and hearts whenever I try to feed him them.
    He's had one pack before without any problems but every time since then he's thrown it up or not taken it.
    All he eats as of now is f/t mice and I want to add some variety to his diet, he's about 3 feet, what can I feed him? And what kind of fish could I put in his tank if any? He's in a 300 gallon stock tank.
    Also, what should I do for heating?
    He only has one heat bulb right now because it's winter and it's a water proof turtle basking bulb(50 or 75w), he usually has a 150 watt normal bulb in there too over his basking area. My room stays about 75 - 80 degrees and he's pretty active year long and eats every other day.
    Should I add a water heater or filter? I clean his tank once or twice a week which means scooping a bunch of water out with a bucket and then adding fresh water.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You can feed him anything. Chicken, turkey, quail, etc. Even with bones.

I'm assuming he is a juvenile since he's still in an aquarium and not 8-9 ft long yet. In that case get anything fresh fish to put in there.

May not like the chicken gizzards and hearts. I would feed something else. Make sure its not rotten and properly thawed and thoroughly.

You may need to get a cow trauth heater or for now an aquarium heater and definately will when you have the huge tank of 10x10ft. Or however big. (Basically like a pool inside your house).

Your temps seem a little low though.

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I also don't think a single bulb makes a large enough basking spot. You should be using several bulbs in a row to heat the animal from snout to vent. Not sure what an acceptable basking spot temp would be but I would aim for around 120-130 with an infra red temp gun. Surface temps regularly reach that here(Florida). I wonder if the regurging isn't connected to not being able to properly digest.

I also see no need for cuts of meat. I think whole foods are best. Most fish would be suitable, I would avoid any fish from the carp family and then be careful of the spines on the other species you offer.