This Disappears When Logged In

Quality Bulbs

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by CornyBoa, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

FWIW I've been using outdoor halogen flood lamps on 10-14 hour cycles for over a year and have only had one burn out during this time.

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Really? Is that within humid enclosures? I must be sourcing them from a bad place. Ive only had one last that long, and it was the one above my bearded dragon basking spot (so no added humidity). None of the ones in my monitor enclosure have lasted longer than 8 months, most more in the 5-6 month range.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Nope...Very dry, very hot enclosures. Most of the lamps I've been using have been Sylvania dimmable bulbs (some 'energy efficient'), running between half to full power depending on the room's ambient temps. Actually, the motion lights mounted outside beneath the eves of my house have been running longer, and they are exposed to just about any and all weather conditions. What bulbs are you running and at what lengths of time?

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

A bunch of different situations for them. The ones in my monitor enclosure are on 24/7, they are two 50 W and one 75 W. The humidity in there is about 70-80%. The one above the bearded dragon is a 75 W, set on a timer that runs it 10 on/14 off. There is no humidity other than the rh of the room (right now pretty low - 25%). Then the one on the snake enclosure (50 W) which only runs a few hours a day, but is exposed to higher humidity again, around 50%. Ive tried both Sylvania and Philips. Im guessing its the humidity that is killing them so quickly.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

While humidity may be a factor I suspect this is the primary cause of the more 'rapid' burn-out rate. You're talking about running a bulb for 24 hours a day as opposed to less than half the time in your dragon's enclosure. While I believe lamps being turned on and off takes it's toll, modern lamps that run 24/7 will most likely burn out at a quicker rate.