This Disappears When Logged In

Quality Bulbs

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by CornyBoa, Mar 1, 2013.

1. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

Does anyone have any bulbs they would recommend that last a long time and are good quality? I have been using zoo med bulbs but they seem to die on me every week-2 weeks and I really don't want to have to shell out 10 bucks every other week to keep getting new ones.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

For heat or for UVB?

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

...and for what animal(s)?

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

well at $10 i would guess heat. use outdoor halogen flood lights. mine have been going for 3 months so far and no blow outs

5. justor

justor Elite Member

I have to wonder why your bulbs keep going out after only two weeks. Sure, these reptile bulbs are not exactly state of the art technology, but they should still last months without blowing out. Are you sure you're not trying to use a high wattage bulb in a low wattage fixture or something?

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i was having the same issue with zilla zoomed and ATL brand basking and IR lamps and all my hoods are ceramic socket

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Most of the smaller dome fixtures, even with ceramic sockets, can only take up to a 75w bulb. That's typically enough for most applications, but if you try and put a 100w bulb in one of those you're going to have problems. Just something to double-check. Even if that is the problem however, the outdoor flood lights are still going to be the better option compared to the reptile basking bulbs.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you only need to provide light, but not necessarily heat, Compact Fluorescent bulbs are getting quite affordable, and often available in bulk packages even cheaper.

If you need heat and light, but not UVB, get standard household bulbs. Lower wattages provide slightly dimmer light, and less heat. Higher wattages provide more heat and light. You'll need to play around to figure out how many watts will provide a good temp range for your enclosures.

If you need heat, light and UVB, I'd suggest a Mega Ray, or other Mercury Vapor bulb. They are pricey, but most come with a very nice warranty (about a year).

9. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

its for heat and the domes I'm using are rated for 150 watts but the bulbs I'm using are 100 watt. Its a night bulb that I need, I have a halogen spot light for day usage but I need a bulb for night usage or the tempeture drops too low.

10. jarich

jarich Elite Member

In that case Id recommend skipping both and getting a Radiant Heat Panel (RHP). It uses infrared wavelengths instead of creating visible light, they last forever, and itll save you on energy too. Its higher cost initially (around $40-$60 depending on the size you want), but it'll be the last one you have to buy (compared with even common flood lights at $8 a pop, which last only a few months). It will also be less drying to the enclosure if humidity is a concern.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Or a ceramic heat emitter would be a good choice as well.

12. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Are the radiant heat panels more efficient than the ceramic heat emitters? Do they heat well in an enclosure? I have not seen that recommendation before, but after looking on Amazon, they look like a viable option. I like the fact that they say they are not too hot to touch, but how warm can they get (my ceramic heat emitter is well in the 200's on its surface).

13. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Every ceramic or porcelain socket I have come across is rated for up to 600W(several 660) or so.

The plastic I have found to be rated for 150W, but I refuse to use them as they crack and dry out from the heat.

My halogens have all lasted way longer than a few months as well. Most make it to nearly a year unless I bump it too hard.

For night temps I still go to the hardware store and I purchase the Infrared heat bulbs they sell for bathrooms, I like that they illuminate the enclosure when it is dark and produce plenty of warmth through the night.

I can only find a link for the 250W but last time I purchase one they had a 100 or 150W available as well.
    Shop SYLVANIA 250-Watt BR40 Base Red Incandescent Heat Lamp Light Bulb at Lowes.com

I have also used CHE and 60W blacklight bulbs. Really depends how much heat you need.

14. jarich

jarich Elite Member

The limitation on most of those lights is not the socket itself, but the hood that goes over it. Hence why the bigger hood fixtures are rated for 150 watts, and the smaller ones for 75 watts. Its all about how much heat is trapped against the fixture. Take the hood off and you dont have those limitations.

And if the halogens last less than a year, that is only a few months. ;) Ive been keeping tabs on the halogen floods in my various tanks just this last year and on average they last about 6 months. Im talking about in comparison to something that can literally last you 10-20 years.

Rakoladyzc, your heat light also is a 250 watt bulb. Not only is it going to eat up a lot more energy (yes DragonsKeeper, RHPs are much more energy efficient than CHEs or other heat sources.) but at that high it could easily be too much for certain applications and certain enclosures. Good if you are heating a huge enclosure and want a wide infrared spread, but if you are looking to heat a smaller enclosure or have a directional ability then its not the best. As you said, its really based on the application that is needed. Is the OP looking for a basking spot or a general heating of a large enclosure?

In answer to your other question DK, they are not that hot to the touch, mine are around 160 F, depending on the temperature Im trying to achieve at the basking point. The other advantage is that they are a flat surface. There is nothing for your animal to wrap around or cling to, so the most they can do is bump into them. A CHE they can wrap around, so there is a real danger of it being there long enough to get a burn, much like the halogens.

Again, the RHPs arent good for every application, but if the OP is just looking for a basking spot and wants to be economical, then they are a good option.

15. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

You must have missed this part

"I can only find a link for the 250W but last time I purchase one they had a 100 or 150W available as well.
    Shop SYLVANIA 250-Watt BR40 Base Red Incandescent Heat Lamp Light Bulb at Lowes.com

I have also used Ceramic Heat Emitter and 60W blacklight bulbs. Really depends how much heat you need."

The reason I mention the lights is they are initially cheaper. If someone were to look at the kane or Reptile Basics heat mats they would probably crap themselves initially. I still haven't seen where the OP has said what animal this is for.

16. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Sorry, not meaning to cause any argument man. I was just comparing to RHPs, which run at around 40-60 watts.

17. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Try ReptiUV Heat Projectors

18. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Every time I've tried to order those, they never have them in stock and seem annoyed by being asked when. I last tried in November a d was told production had not even started yet.

Do you have one? Do they work well?

19. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Well. I don't own one. But I have heard from others that own Green Iguanas that they work really well and last a few years.

20. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Same technology essentially as an RHP.