This Disappears When Logged In

Qs About Snake's Psychology

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by angrykitten, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plisskin

plisskin Active Member

I kept waiting for Merlin to chime in! (try his test,rub a mouse on your hand & see how much love a reptile has for it's food!) it's all about respect & knowledge! I would love for my snakes to love me back! as far as domesticated, I can take a bone and play with my lab,or stick my hand in her food bowl while she eats! I would not offer my BP a rodent by holding it in the palm of my hand!

2. Gracelikerain18

Gracelikerain18 Elite Member

I think they are capable of showing love/affection. Studies show that if you talk to your plants daily then they will flourish. So if plants can respond to humans this way, why can't snakes show love and affection to their humans?

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Talking to plants gives them carbon dioxide which they use for photosynthesis which converts the carbon dioxide into organic compounds which they use to grow, that analogy won't work with herp's because you can't just breath on a herp and have it flourish from you talking to it.

I agree that they can tell one person from another and that they probably "feel" affection? for one person over another, but, I think that it's more a feeling of "safety", ie..."I feel safer here so I like it here better" type of thinking, and so the person they feel safer with can get away with more (which means it takes more to P*** it off than the less safe person would ;))

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

What snakes cannot hear?! I had no idea. And I had some years ago.:eek: This is a fascinating conversation. Now I thought I heard about a study that used sound just sound with plants. And the negative tones caused the plants to stunt the growth and the positive sounds made them flourish. I heard an interview with the person who did these experiments years ago and i can't remember who it was,lol.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Snakes can feel vibration. They just lack external ears.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

how sensitive, can they feel me talking be cause I feel I always surprise the python, but its nice not to worry about vacuuming in the day, although now I will wake the mouse, but gretta is always happy

7. Merlin

Quite sensitive to low end vibrations. They can probably feel the vibration from the vacuum.
    But that has never bothered mine.

8. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

Well if that's the case, then how do you explain a plants productive reaction to music?

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Mythbusters did a show on that, I can't remember exactly but if I remember right it was "loud" music was bad and "soft" music was ok
    I'll have to see if I can find that episode on the net.

10. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

Right. But whatever was used to play the music didn't put out CO2. It put out vibrations (sound waves). So- it seems to me that the plants respond to vibration (sound) as well as CO2, which is what Gracelikerain was saying. ;)

11. Maya

Maya Elite Member

I think we are still a long ways off to understanding this complex planet and all its inhabitants. Repeated results with scientific experiments are the only real proof. Meanwhile theorizing is fun and keeps our hearts happy.

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Vibrations could act like us scratching an itchy area of our skin. It improves circulation on the affected area which delivers more blood and oxygen.
    I don't care about plant behaviour, The original topic is about snake psychology.
    Snakes are solitary animals. Mammals for the most part are social animals and have an advanced brain over reptiles that is needed to comprehend a social structure. Indeed, I read a study some time ago that suggested that our level of intelligence is used primarily to be able to communicate with each other in a social setting.
    What great achievements would humans have made if one couldn't discuss things with one-another?
    Human emotions are no different. We have a need to discuss things with each other before we can really decide how we feel!

On another note, All our reptiles are very well fed compared to those in the wild!

Here's an interesting but, bad idea. Starve your snake for two months and then put your hand in there!
    --DON'T DO IT!!!--- , Just a hypothetical argument!

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

The plant's didn't grow better with the vibrations, the music was the same(rock loud, rock soft, no music) and they tried it with different styles(rock, classical, jazz, etc...) it was just louder in some of the greenhouses and softer in others, the loud didn't grow as much as the soft, but, neither grew as much as the ones WITHOUT any music.

This is what she said. I don't believe you can use this analogy(as I stated before:p). Plant's and snakes are two VERY different things and you can't compare one to the other. THAT was the point I was making ;)

You talk to your plants and they grow, this is not showing affection, it is using the CO2 to make something it needs to grow. A plant isn't going to "show" affection, it will grow just as much if you gave it to your mom, sister, dad, or brother as it did for you as long as they talk to it also.

A snake however can be fed, handled, bathed, etc..., the same way by two different people and react different for each person. So my earlier statement stands;)

14. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

I kiss my plants. And my snake.:D

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I kiss everything here but the gerbils and fish. Oh the turtle doesn't get any loving either.

Us weird humans.

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL But thats YOU showing affection to them, NOT them showing it to you :p:p

17. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

As much as I would like to believe that Sibilla can feel my love for her and loves me back, the rational part of my brain tells me otherwise. I don't know much about reptiles in the wild but it has already been mentioned that they are not social animals. I am not even sure if they actually take care of their offsprings once hatched.
    I think if one has the need to feel loved by their pet companion, he/she would be better off with a cat or dog (or another mammal).
    I truly enjoy owing a snake and I am already emotionally attached to Sibilla as I invest time and preoccupations into her wellbeing, but I can't say that my relationship with her would ever be like the one I have with my three cats who obviously come to me for the simple reason to get cuddles and love. I never get tired of waking up in the morning with one of my cats purring next to my face!!

18. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

I dont know....it's obvious that my python (Shelby) comes to me when I have her out of her cage, and on the floor for instance. She will come accross the floor just to get under my leg. I'm not sure if this is because I feel "safe" to her, or if it is something more. I like to believe that she comes to me because she prefers my company, but either way- I don't care. The fact that she prefers my company over the company of someone else is okay by me, even if it isn't driven by affection. People love their pets, and if people like to believe that their pets love them back, then that's okay. Hopefully, one day as time goes on, and more research is done, we will have a better insight into what reptiles are thinking...

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you`re very mean Dragoness, kissing everything around EXCEPT the Gerbils, turtle and fish......Do you have a problem with these lovely creatures, or are you just being economical with your kisses?? (discrimination, I call it!!) :D

20. Merlin

Hmmmm I don't know about THAT.
    We might be better off not knowing what they are thinking.:rolleyes:
    Could be something to the effect of "Oh my god that thing is UGLY!!! And it STINKS!":rolleyes:
    Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.