This Disappears When Logged In

Q didn't make it

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by BlackJack, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Q's end

I haven't been posting in a while. Sorry this came as such a shock to all of you.

It seems more and more likely that Q was a wild-caught BRB. Although her stool samples came back parasite-free; I'm now pretty convinced that she suffered from something similar to Emerald Vomiting Syndrome, commonly found in wild caught ETBs. A gastric infection possibly caused by a tropical bird pathogen. This destroys the HCl producing cells in the stomach wall. Food can only be partially digested.

Although Q ate regularly, her stool often had bone pieces in it, and she started vomiting more and more frequently. (NOT regurgitating... but vomiting up meals taken up to 7-12 days earlier.) The first time she vomited, I thought it was my fault... too large of a meal, too low temps ... I made sure this never happened after that. It was confusing because she would digest a few meals in a row without any problems, but then vomit the next. Later I thought it was stress caused by living with Talyn. But since they were separated, her condition only worsened. In the end, she vomited parts of the last 4 meals. I know that some of the food was digested as she continued to pass stools frequently... often with bones, however.
    I decided to try feeding her pinkie rats, but she regurgitated those two days later.
    I came back Saturday from a trip to San Diego, to find that she had again vomited part of the rat I'd fed her before I left.
    She had lost even more weight and was clearly dehydrated... her skin was sagging from her bones.
    I took her to the vet and she gave Q injections of Vit A and B and fluids and also gave me a prescription for "Flagyl". Unfortunately she made a mistake with the dosis and Q got about 2-3 times what she should have. We didn't realize this till the next day though. Q vomited and passed urates and a large stool and lost lots of fluids. She was so dehydrated and inspite of my trying to replace fluids with a syringe, she didn't make it.
    I remember now that the guy who sold her to me said not to feed her large meals because she'll vomit them up. (This tells me that she had had this problem before I got her. I thought it was just because he wasn't keeping her properly, but now I realize that she was probably ill from the beginning.)

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Andrea, such a sad ending to Q's life, i'm so sorry she had to endure that. But, know that there was nothing you could have done and you gave her the best few months of her life, I'm sure. It must have been hard to watch her go through such an illness, but sometimes some things we love must be taken for a reason, and think of her over the rainbow happy and healthy, in peace.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Andrea how is this illness passed? Is it possible that Talyn or Monty could have contracted it as well?

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

God! I hope you're wrong Merlin! :eek: :(

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

With my luck? Anything is possible. :( I'm going to see what the necropsy shows. The vet thinks she may have "just" had a tumor, as she tested negative for any type of parasite. I'm hoping it was something like that and that I'm wrong about the disease.

I'd mostly be concerned for Talyn, as they lived together for a short while and spent lots of that time coiled up together. However, Talyn is huge and healthy looking and has never (at least not yet) regurgitated or shown any type of digestive problems.

I was pretty broken up about it last night. I had asked the vet about putting her to sleep and she said it wasn't time yet, and that we should try this other medication. In a way, I think it would have been easier if it had been done at the vet instead of slowly in my living room. She was clearly not well and I'm not sure if the accidental overdose pushed her over the edge. Either way, she's not suffering anymore and I'm glad for that.
    Now I need to re-focus and hope that the two I have left have not been infected with anything.

6. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Oh =( Didn't knew Q wasn't well. Sorry about your loss =(

7. cman

cman Elite Member

im so sorry to hear my thoughts are with you

8. IggieZ.

IggieZ. Elite Member

Im sorry to hear of your loss! Q was very beautiful!

With tears in my eyes, you are in Iggie and my thoughts and prayers!

9. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Blackjack,

Sorry to hear of your loss. At least you were there to help.

Steven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.