This Disappears When Logged In

Pyxie Frog Sexing?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by purplemuffin, Apr 30, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

My boyfriend's sister got herself a pyxie frog today! Apparently the frog is like 3.5-4 inches long, closer to 4 inches, and the internet claims this is about the size when you can sex them!

I've been googling it, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Anyone have any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. purplemuffin

Haha, yes they get giant.... She's preparing him to have a rather large enclosure when he gets bigger. How large will depend on if it turns out to be a boy or girl!

Well, this guy seems to have a lot of yellow on him. It's hard to tell how big the head is in this picture. I'll see if she can take some new pictures!

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm guessing female. They tend to have big buggy eyes. The right way to tell, is to see if there are nuptial pads on the front hands.

The size difference for them isn't all that much between males and females. They should still have the same size enclosure.

5. purplemuffin

[​IMG]

Here's a top view. Hmmm it's still young so it's hard to tell, but it sort of looks like a girl. If it is a male it hasn't lost the stripe on the back yet.

Compared to this picture:
    [​IMG]

Maybe just a little bit longer to wait to know for sure.. At least for my untrained eyes! Haha.. I'm sure a frog expert could tell much easier.

6. purplemuffin

Oh Liz I didn't see your post! The more I looked the more I see female too.

I had always heard males need much much larger enclosures than the girls and that their size difference was insane! Of course she will be getting a big big tank in her future :)

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Some males never materialize to that gigantic size. My Henry was full grown, and only weight in a 2.5 lbs. I have heard some getting as big as 4.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Only 2.5 lbs, I am just amazed of the size of these guys! :eek: