This Disappears When Logged In

Pyxie Frog - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by dallasraefoster, Oct 16, 2011.

1. dallasraefoster

dallasraefoster New Member

Okay, so i have a few reptiles and wanted a frog - of course! I bought this beautiful pyxie frog but am now having some problems. The biggest issue i am having right now are these lesion like things on his hind legs. They are like little dots and have a white center. He started with one about a month ago but now he has about 6 in total counting both legs. When i went to change his water today, i was holding him and noticed blood on my hands. One of the lesions on the bottom of his leg was bleeding.

Currently i have a plastic water dish for him - is that bad?
    I also have a 100 watt red bulb running constantly over him. Not directly on top of his cage though - that makes him too hot.
    I change his water every other day and feed him about four crickets every other night. He is a juvenile.

I was not able to find much information on care for pyxie frogs online. Can someone please help me out?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hmm I don't know what the problem is, but it sounds bad.

I know people will ask questions, so try to provide as many details on care as possible.

Do you dechlorinate your water?

3. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I dont know any thing about frogs but pics are always helpful.

4. backwoodsgecko

backwoodsgecko Elite Member

I would get your frog to a vet.

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Yeah, bleeding lesions are never good!
    Possible bacterial, fungal infection, either way, most likely will not go away without treatment.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Mostly likely parasite exit wounds. You need to take a stool sample and your frog to the vet pronto.

what are you using for a substrate? do you dechloronate his water? 4 crickets doesn't sound like enough. My guy used to polish off a dozen at a time. Feed him as much as he'll eat in 10 minutes. What are your daytime/night time temps?

7. dallasraefoster

He actually doesn't eat that much. Usually when i feed him four there are some still in there running around.
    And honestly, i've never seen his stool. Which is also probably bad. Do they usually go in their water?
    We have a well - so no chlorine in the water.
    I'll schedule him a vet appointment this week.

I did however change his bowl from plastic to ceramic. When i changed his water today he did not bleed at all, good sign? probably.

8. schlegelbagel

probably a coincidence. The plastic bowl has nothing to do with it. My adult used to sit for hours on end, soaking in a big cat litter box.

I'm going to guess parasites. They can build up in the intestines so bad, it clogs them up. It's a very simple solution. A 10 day supply of the correct antibiotics.

Some frogs go in the water (mine did) others go other places in the cage. Check around, it may be in the dirt.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Could the crickets have bit him??

10. dallasraefoster

i don't let the crickets in his cage any longer than what he eats in ten minutes.
    I did take him to the vet yesterday, i got this like antibiotic syrupy lotion stuff to put on his wounds. the vet also told me that it was most likely a parasite and that he got it from the coconut substrate. I removed the substrates, as the vet recommended and replaced it with paper towels. I also removed his water dish, also directed by the vet.
    This morning, he had his legs apart and he looked much smaller. When i held him, he seemed extremely lethargic. When i put the syrup stuff on again, though, he began to jump away from me. 1. Is it hurting him? 2. Should i go back to the vet?

11. schlegelbagel

I would get a new vet.

1. Parasites don't come from coconut substrate. They come from some living creature the frog ate. Probably a worm or cricket. It happens, even with the best care.

2. The only way to clear up parasites is with ORAL or INJECTED medication. Topical does nothing for this.

They guys burrow. They NEED to borrow. Paper towels is OK for now but not the long term. I would suggest a 50-50 mixture of organic potting soil and coco-husk.