This Disappears When Logged In

Python Snakes, An Invasive Species In Florida...

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Burmese pythons—an invasive species in south Florida—could find comfortable climatic conditions in roughly a third of the United States according to new "climate maps" developed by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Although other factors such as type of food available and suitable shelter also play a role, Burmese pythons and other giant constrictor snakes have shown themselves to be highly adaptable to new environments.

The just-released USGS maps can help natural resource agencies manage and possibly control the spread of non-native giant constrictor snakes, such as the Burmese python, now spreading from Everglades National Park in Florida. These "climate match" maps show where climate in the U.S. is similar to places in which Burmese pythons live naturally (from Pakistan to Indonesia).

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Python Snakes, An Invasive Species In Florida, Could Spread To One Third Of US?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Python Snakes, An Invasive Species In Florida.

I don't have much to comment on the article, but I was watching Animal Planet yesterday and they pulled a 16 foot python out of a swampy area. Yes an invasive species and could infiltrate any warm climate area. As long as there are stray cats and dogs and other ground critters, they have food and will grow. No natural predators here.

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I think Og posted this a few weeks back,,, hmmmm. I really dont have much to say other than I find it amazing how animals can adapt to many different environments.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I kind of question the range of that map. According to what they say Pythons can survive as far north as Virginia and Maryland ?? I live in Virginia and I find it hard to believe that a python, boa, or any species of that type could survive the winters here. Our winters are relatively mild compared to the New England area but we do get below freezing at night for most of the winter. Then again maybe they could tolerate that with deep burrows at night. Nature adapts.

5. lizardking508

lizardking508 Elite Member

This is a article that is hard for me to take sides on. I would hate to see the snakes destroyed, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want the native US species wiped out by an introduced species.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.