This Disappears When Logged In

python size

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by ddakota10530, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddakota10530

ddakota10530 Well-Known Member

ok im looking for a mild mannered python that gets between 10 to 12 ft long.... any ideas

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

ya sure you want one that big ? there is no guarantee that any snake will be mild mannered, and having one that large with mildness as a requirement is a tough call. When it gets large and decides it wants an attitude are you prepared to deal with that ? don't get me wrong,,,,i am not trying to talk you out of it or insinuate that you could not handle one that size. It just seems to me if a meek animal is one you want,,,you should reconsider one of that size. Just my thoughts.

3. ddakota10530

well i got a ball python and she is very miled manered ... i just want a new pet and im just asking questions before i jump in... my ball python is a sweet heart... i am willing for the attitude tho

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Though I've never had one,, Carpet Pythons get around a max of 7 feet. There are 2 types to my knowledge : Coastal and Jungle. The jungles are very pretty snakes though I am not sure of there disposition. We do have some members who have them. Maybe 1 of them can shed some light for you .

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

How much have you worked with large snakes? Have a 6ft retic latched on your arm wasnt what i expected out of my retic it was well manared before till that. It just how that snake feels on what it does. Most BPs are laid back.

A snake that large will eat rabbits at a time, which will cost you.

Also youll need an enclouser 8 ft long x 3ft wide x 2 ft tall. Do you have room for that type of enclouser?

Will you have someone to help you with this large of snake. Its a good idea to always have someone there when you handle the snake due to what could happen.

A retic and a burm will both come as a lap dog mannered snake or will be a total *****. A mild mannered snake will change in a split second if it senses something. So your 10 ft lap dog will become a 10 ft monster.

I can suggest a costal carpet python though.

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I have a 15 foot burm who is very mild....however as with ANY snake there is always a chance that he could be having a bad day and an accidental bite could occur. Opt for a Red Tail Boa, they have decent size and are very mild mannered...

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Oh Oh I have the perfect one for you, she is not a python she is a boa, she is not cranky or moody she is just misunderstood;) Oh fine she is REAL CRANKY, good luck with your search I have met very few with nice attitudes but I am sure they are out there!
    How much experience do you have with big snakes?

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I agree with the boa suggestion (I have 4 !!!!) they usually are very mild mannered and with so many "localities" there are some nice colors/patterns.
    but then a boa is not a python,,,unless you'd be willing to change your mind.

9. ddakota10530

well nicole what kind of boa may she be.. it accually wouldnt be t the first time i got bit i have been bit by a local copperhead... and yes i do have another person to help he lives with me hes just as much as a snake nut as i am

10. ddakota10530

im just here for any suggestions python and boa or what ever ... my mind is open to change

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

They said she is a red tail boa? common boa, she is a rescue and an absolute hideous, cranky woman, she is moodier than me! Read the thread on cranky boa and that is her.
    So ken I noticed you have four, how about a fifth? I think you would just love her she is so sweet!! (Hysterically laughing)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Carpets are beautiful snakes but a tad nippy as youngsters. They also tend to be more active and less laid back than what most people think of with regards to pythons.
    If your experience is limited to ball pythons but you wish to step up to a larger snake I would suggest the common boa constrictor. They are attractive, hardy, reach an impressive size, and most are mild mannered when treated with respect.
    However any snake can have a bad day and nail you.
    And the bigger they are the more it hurts!

13. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very funny,,,,,if you add another room onto the house I'm buying I'll be more than happy to add another boa !!!!!

14. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awwww she is just misunderstood...if you werent clear across the country.....

15. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I don't know if I would personally get anything bigger than the common we have now. She is a 7-8', 25# monster. She is usually good temperament but we are still working through getting her over all the shots she had to be given. There is no way I can handle her myself and need my husband around just to get her out of her cage as it is too high for me to reach. She is also all most twice as long as I am tall. Just my two cents worth or was that only one cent worth????

16. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

how much are you willing to spend, i would go for a Dwarf tiger retic, i would say a 10' is probaly above average for a dwarf, and besides dwarfs having a calmer disposition than a normal retic, tigers seem to be the most laid back of the retic morphs, so it would be a smaller version of the calmer giant. you can check them out on Kingsnake. good luck with whatever you choose.:D

17. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Just to add, a big female coastal carpet python can do 12ft+, we have a male here who is pushing 10ft....as for a miled mannered one as others have said it is luck of the draw I'm affraid

18. HerpsinIN

HerpsinIN Member

How much are you willing to spend? I got my first woma about 3 weeks ago and he is great! He has never hissed, struck, etc. and has a great appetite. Depending on the locale, they are from 5-9ft long.

19. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

woma as a beginer snake...hmmm a bit risky unless he is loaded :D..if so get a boelans and one for me too!haha

i vote boa! bci or bcc if you want bigger beast. What other snakes have you kept? Your experience level will also bring more possibilities...but a boa i think would work the best for you.

20. HerpsinIN

HerpsinIN Member

Why would it be risky to have a woma as a beginer snake? The only other snake I have had before this one is a corn snake. Just curious why you thought that. Plus you can get a male woma for around $350 shipped. They arent horribly expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.