This Disappears When Logged In

Python on the Run

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by DustinQ, Jun 23, 2014.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I have an enclosure set up for young carpet python and a few whites/dumpy frogs, they were in an exoterra front opening terrarium (large extra tall 36x18x36) anyway I was adjusting things, got distracted and forgot to latch it. Come down this morning to mist everyone and my python and one of the frogs are missing!
    All my reptiles are housed in my unfinished basement so humidity is perfect throughout the entire basement and the ambient temp is pretty regular around 86• So they probably won't seek out water, or a source of heat. Any ideas on luring them out? My biggest concern is that they'll make their way into other enclosures and get eaten. The mesh on the gator enclosure is large enough for this small python to fit through and she will most definitely tear him to shreds.
    Please help!
    Thank you,
    Dustin

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am going to assume you have already gone on an expedition to locate them? In many instances, the snake will tuck itself into something that is close to where it escaped. I would start there. I would also set up a heated box or something of that nature to offer a warm refuge for the carpet if he is out and about and decides he wants to warm up. You can also try placing baby powder along the walls so that you will be able to see if the snake is travelling along the walls and in what direction he is headed. This will help locate him. I don't have many ideas as I haven't had to implement any of them "yet". Others who have experienced an escape may be more inclined to offer additional advice. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Thanks for the tips. I have searched extensively unfortunately there are infinite areas for him to tuck himself into. The floor joists and beams from the floor above are all open too.

4. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I found both the escapees! I turned off all lights, heaters, filters and misters. I sat there in complete darkness just listening for a little over an hour. The escaped dumpy frog actually jumped on me lol and then I heard the python just minutes later hanging out on the pipes