This Disappears When Logged In

Python Kills Two Children in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jarich, Aug 5, 2013.

1. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

What I'd like to see is just one piece of non-circumstantial evidence that points to the snake. Just one. I think that's all anyone in the reptile industry wants as well. You can't convict people or other animals on circumstantial evidence - why a reptile?

2. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I hate seeing headlines like "Python kills 2 kids". It would be a little easier to take if it was "Python allegedly kills 2 kids". Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Being from New Brunswick and knowing many people who personally know the families involved with this horrific tragedy, I would like to say that the investigation is still on going. This was the "perfect storm" sort of speak, so many factors that contributed to this happening. We as reptile owners have to educate people even more, this is something that will likely never happen again. Prayers go out to the family of the two boys, and also to Jean Claude Savoie and his family. All have lost so much, so lets just wait for the whole story before jumping to conclusions. As we all know, the new doesn't always get all the facts straight. As for the 4 crocodilians that were killed, I feel that this did not have to happen.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It is very sad! I couldn't imagine going through the pain of losing two children. The thought of anything happening to aurora is crippling. The media isn't really helping this situation. I can't wait until all of the facts are released, the real facts. Not the medias version.

5. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

It is a heartbreaking situation and I carry those families in my heart every day. I can't imagine the pain they are going through. All of them.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

We kind of have to be, since the general public tends to be very opinionated about our hobby. And most sheeple don't care to find out facts if they already think they have a cause to bleat about.
    And even if it wasn't the snake, and the facts to prove that are released, it will never get any attention. The media has already used it as a rating grab and won't care about it at this point.

7. cassicat4

The problem is, the media and police and political figures are treating the case like it's been solved, that the snake definitively did it. But how can they when the investigation is still ongoing?

Like JSqueezer mentioned, Instead of saying "snake suspected in boys' deaths" it's "snake kills boys." Instead of "funeral held for boys allegedly killed by snake" it's "funeral held for boys killed by snake". They aren't even leaving it open for other possibilities, which makes me wonder if the truth is eventually discovered, if it will even be revealed to the general public. On a political level, they don't like admitting to being wrong, or convicting the wrong party. It shakes the public's faith in their ability to do their job, and they also lose trust from their voters, which is what everything always comes down to in the end anyway. There's a reason that in the human world and even in the "accepted" animal world of dogs and cats, no one or thing is ever accused of being guilty until it is definitely proven to be true. The reason being, the repercussions for a false accusation can be horrific. Once again, reptiles aren't privy to these considerations.

I fear it will be covered up - the public will be allowed to think and blame the snake, new laws will be enacted to increase the public's perceived level of safety, and the only ones who know the truth will be forced to keep their mouths shut. I don't even know if the family who is impacted the most by this tragedy will know the truth, and of everyone involved, they deserve it the most. It's just incredibly unfair for everyone.

8. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Agreed!

9. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I'm not crazy, insane or stupid. I am in my right mind and no, I do not have a death wish. I am not afraid that my snake will "get loose" and strangle me to death while I sleep. I can't count how many times in the last number of days that I've repeated these statements to questions.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Its a bit odd, everyone I know knows I have snakes, yet no one has even mentioned this. My wife knew nothing about it until I told her. Not that either of us really watch the news, since there us usually so little fact involved.

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. We don't watch the news either for the same reason.
    We do watch for the weather but there's very little fact involved in that segment as well.

12. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I don't watch much tv at all. One hour a week.. Criminal Minds is the only show I watch... and even that's not faithfully. I don't watch the news. Sadly most of the info I gather is via the internet.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The wife watches cop dramas, and mostly online now. The last thing I would watch at all was 2 and a half men, and only if someone else happened to have it on. Show sux without Charlie though.
    Anyway, has there been any new info released about what happened? I'm thinking they won't make the autopsy results public until after they have finished with the criminal investigation and decided what if any charges will be filed. I wonder if rampant stupidity is a crime? Oh wait, 2/3 of America would be guilty of that it seems.

14. cassicat4

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

We don't have any channels on our TV, no cable. It is for movies and games, and might get used twice a week, lol. I am way too busy with life in general to rot my brain in front of it for any length of time.

I am curious as to why he had a freezer full of dead reptiles.... 17 fly river turtles. Those are very expensive, and not easy to get!!!

I think the investigation is less about determining if the snake killed actually the boys, and more about determining what the owner can be charged with in a court of law. Those boys were in his care at the time of their deaths. In most areas, the adult is responsible for kids in their care, even if it is temporary, such as with sleepovers, etc.

Hypothetically (and I can't stress that enough), he could be using the snake as a cover up for something more sinister - which is why an autopsy is necessary.

If any one of us were to look at a picture of the boys the way they appeared when the police arrived, I'm sure we could conclude with fair accuracy whether or not the snake ever bit or constricted them. Anyone with 2 connecting neurons could make the same conclusion. How many details could be overlooked in that context? could you tell, for instance, if either of the boys had received a lethal dose of a drug? Could you tell if either one of them may have had a heart condition? could you rule out a million other causes of death that leave no outward mark? Causes the snake may (or may not) have been used as a scapegoat to cover up for?

For the investigators, it isn't about the snake. It's about the boys.

The owner is screwed one way or the other, and rightfully so. The only question now is what he will be charged with.

16. cassicat4

I think that's what the majority of reptile-savvy people have been theorizing from the beginning. Either way, it's becoming evident that he either directly or indirectly had a lot more to do with their deaths than what's been let on (to the general public). Criminal negligence causing death was one of the possible charges mentioned last week. Best case scenario (for him), this means he may have just been negligent in ensuring the snake was properly locked up. Worst case scenario...he's a lot more involved in their outcome.

I see this as a potentially positive sign...that maybe, just maybe, we'll hear the truth in the end after all.

17. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

How does one come up with "the python was enraged". I don't think snakes have that emotion.
    I guess it sounds much better than writing the snake was defensive.