This Disappears When Logged In

Python Kills Two Children in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jarich, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Poison

Poison Elite Member

A snake can very well asphyxiate a person/ animal while they are squeezing them. Whether they meant to or not.

2. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Poison I have to ask.. are you one of us or not? Just asking.....

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I'm guessing you mean a reptile enthusiast? Very much!. However these large constrictors can be dangerous animals and people need to realize that. These animals are to easily obtained. There is no point in lying to your self that the snake didnt kill them just because you are a reptile enthusiast if you know it did (though the proof is not fully there).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

I wouldn't entirely say that dogs get off scott free. Living in Colorado, I can tell you that unless you own a house you are severely limited to the breed you can own. Here where I live, you cannot have dogs over 60 lbs in most apartments, townhouses, and house rentals. There is a long list of breeds that are flat out not allowed in any renting facility, those breeds including but not limited to chows, rottweilers, huskies, and pitbulls. Pitbulls are outright banned in Denver.

As for the snake issue, I don't particularly think it was the snake that did it. It just doesn't make sense, nor does it add up. I think it's just anti-reptile people placing blame on an innocent animal to further the fear mongering and hatred. Indeed, large constrictors and any constrictors for that matter can be dangerous, but just because they CAN be dangerous doesn't mean that this python is responsible for the deaths of these children.

When it comes down to it, who are people going to blame, and who is going to try to point the finger at whom? Are the shop owner or the parents or the building manager going to take responsibility for anything if they can just blame it on a snake? Of course not. And can the snake speak up in its own defense? No.

5. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

It kind of seems that you're just in this thread to argue for arguments sake.

6. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Until we know for sure what killed the children I'm not going to speculate. Whether the snake was directly responsible (as in strangled the children) or indirectly responsible (fell through the duct and the children died from carbon monoxide poisoning), at the end of the day those two beautiful boys are dead and my heart breaks for the families involved.

With any snake comes much responsibility. I can't see myself with anything larger than a ball python... though my husband is trying to talk me into getting a Jungle Carpet Python. Off to do some research...

7. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I'm not here to cause trouble but I do have a different opinion then a lot of you guys. I don't see how you would think I'm here just for "arguments sake" just because I'm disagreeing. Sorry if I came off harsh or soething (I'm really not seeing it)

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Let's keep the conversation friendly and on topic.
    I doubt the snake killed those children by constricting them.
    I don't particularly want to discuss the death of two children, but I feel like blame is being placed on the snake as a way of coping.
    This is a terrible thing for any family to endure. My thoughts are with this family.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Its all in responsible ownership. I own large constrictors. Securely. I also have kids. I follow the law. How responsible was this person who owned the snake if he had it, when he wasn't even supposed to by law? It says plainly, its not allowed in thier area. I read somewhere the snake escaped through a hole in the enclosure. How big was that hole? How secure was that snake? Did they just rig something over the hole? Honestly, theres responsible and irresponsible people in every aspects of keeping animals whether its reptiles, dogs, horses, etc. Our job as responsible owners are to educate others on being more responsible. Its also to educate non owners.

There's too many questions and not enough answers. Personally, ill make a judgement after I get proof. Not speculation.

********* I also feel the need to clarify....if you have books, a rock, etc on top of your enclosure keeping the mesh lid on, your NOT securely keeping your pet snake. Locks are 4.00 for two locks. Splurge please. Spend 12.00-16.00 on a lot of locks. Are they perfect? No. But they are better than the books, etc. Couple those together with the locks and its more secure than what it was. Would it keep something like Chiquita (14 ft burm) in? Nope, but it'll help (<- keyword) keep that boa or ball python in. *********

10. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That's the way I've been explaining it to concerned friends and family. Educating the public is all we can do, other than reinforcing our cages as best we can. In today's age we have to remain vigilant and unfortunately we have to defend our hobby. Education is the only way to accomplish this. Who knows the difference we will make. How many people do you know? If we educate them, they explain it to one other person, how many people has been educated by it? They may not explain it to anyone, but at least they know.

Its a tragic incident no matter who's at fault. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

12. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I find myself thinking about this often. I can't even imagine having to live on this earth without one of my children.
    I have a friend who tragically lost her daughter. She desperately needed something to blame/hate to even have the ability to draw in her next breath, to cope each minute of every long lonely day. These parents need to hate that snake, every snake, right now to cope with their grief. Maybe later they will advocate for people to be more educated and responsible with their pets or maybe they will advocate for a ban on large snakes. Or something else. But they will find something to dedicate themselves to in order to attach a purpose, a reason for their loss.
    I think its that deep emotional response that the public feels that leads them to immediately question/worry about snakes in general after they hear something like this. Because they are not already educated on the reality of these animals. They feel if they go against the snakes then they are somehow supporting the parents that are grieving. Backing them up.
    Its about validation of emotions, the desire to connect, needing answer to "why".

I am not talking about the media above. They are the monster in the closet, they are the man eating snake. They feed the emotions and create bigger scarier emotions to control us with fear.

Just some rambling thoughts. My heart aches deeply for these parents. I can't even imagine the depth of their pain.

No matter the cause of death, its clear human error was the root of it.

13. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Ieasa, your thoughts are not rambling. I too find myself thinking about this situation. I can't imagine the anguish of losing a child. No parent should ever have to bury their child.

Would it be in poor taste for me to attend the boys funeral tomorrow?

14. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Personally I don't think it would be in "poor taste" unless you went there with the intention of defending snakes and exploit their grieving time. I myself would not go if I could because I know I would not be able to keep my opinion to myself, hearing other people bash snakes as a whole.

15. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

I've said it to all my relatives and I'll say it again: It's just a freak accident where a snake got loose and (to my understanding) fell through the ceiling onto two small children. It wasn't agressive, the owner wasn't doing it on purpose, it's no ones fault, just an accident.
    But, one mistake=one freak accident= a lot of people freaking out and trying to find something to blame.
    I can't believe the snake was put down, though. It's just more death and more sadness.
    My grandpa was raging at my dad for "allowing these dangerous animals near his children" in regards to my corn snake. Sigh.

16. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

No I would simply go as one mom offering emotional support to another mom. I've decided not to go. As hubby said, "You don't know the family and the whole community will be there to offer emotional support."

17. Poison

Poison Elite Member

The snake did NOT fall on the children. The roof ceiling caved in on another part of the house.

18. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

It's believed that the roof collapsed in the living room.. the room in which the boys were sleeping.

19. Poison

Poison Elite Member

The owner him self said this. I'll have to find the interview again hold on.

20. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

There are so many conflicting stories though. I just hope that the true details of what happened come to light. Not in defense of snakes, mind you, but because I believe that the general public deserves to be honestly informed. Not that they'll listen. The fear/hate mongering in regards to snakes has escalated to near hysterical proportions. On a petty note.. my pride is bruised a little because snake owners are being labeled as "idiots" for owning such dangerous creatures.