This Disappears When Logged In

Python Kills Two Children in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jarich, Aug 5, 2013.

1. jarich

jarich Elite Member

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well that's a lot of conjecture without any autopsy reports.

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

haha, that article says African Rock python, which is at least a little more believable. However, its still strange.

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

oops. I meant to say python not burm.

6. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

And apparently there was a 3rd child sleeping in the room that never woke up when the 60lb snake crashed through the drop ceiling and killed two kids. Definitely a little odd. I want to see the autopsy results.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Yeah I think there is something else going on here too. I had some lady comment about this on my fb add for selling a ball python, apparently she thinks bp's get huge and kills kids too?

I bet when the real story of what happens comes out it will not be in the news.

8. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I find it really hard to believe that this is the behavior of a snake. It's not typical behavior for any snake - to kill a child, not eat it, then kill another, and not eat that as well. They're not predatory for the sake of being a predator. They kill out of a feeding response, or out of a defensive response. And to have both die without anyone in the house knowing about it...I've never heard of a one hit snake kill when it comes to humans.

My guess is that the deaths, while very tragic, are human-related, and the snake is merely a scapegoat. I hope when the full story is revealed that it does make the news to dispute any snake-related fears, but unfortunately, based on media motives, I think Susan will be right in that we won't know.

9. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

10. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

Re: Very Sad Story... Happened in My Province

I saw this yesterday and was pretty shocked. Very sad and I can't help but be confused. I don't know much about that snake species but it just doesn't sound like typical snake behavior.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

African Rocks are pretty aggressive. Couple that with the fact they were kids. Horrible incident.

12. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Someone in the comments section stated that the boys had been at a petting zoo that night, and speculates that the snake picked up a scent on then. I can't find any news sources reporting that. If that is true then it start to explain such a bizzare incident. I still don't understand how one snake could have killed two boys with a third in the room.... I guess that's why the call it a tragedy.

My heart breaks for the family

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I heard it on the radio and was pretty shocked.
    Also shocked about how much bs accompanies reptiles in the news, even from so called "knowledgeable" people.
    Like the manager of the Hamilton store that states African Rock Pythons are not overly aggressive. Really? I have always heard that they were. Especially when this one apparently rarely ever left it's enclosure.
    The whole story seems a bit odd. How are two kids killed in the same apartment? Also from what I read it entered a heating duct in the store and made it's way upstairs? What kind of pet store would not have them covered as not to lose an escaped reptile? I guess the snake had a screwdriver to loosen it and then also upstairs removed one to crawl out after negotiating the proper turns to get there. All mysterious.
    Then there's another story that lumps ALL pythons in captivity together under the name PYTHONS.
    Gees I wish writers would do a little research before doing crap like that.
    But yes, whatever the circumstances this is horrible. The parents will be devastated as well as the shopkeeper for being responsible.

14. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

This is what CNN reported.

Snake kills two boys during sleepover, Canadian police say - CNN.com

I can only imagine the anguish the families are going through. These families were friends!! How do you deal with the fact that your snake may be responsible for the death of your friends kids?? I feel awful for Mr. Savoie. He'll deal with the consequences of this incident for a very long.. as will his family.

The kids may have been crushed when the ceiling collapsed.

15. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I am still feeling confused. No mention of bite marks on the kids. Would a snake strangle without biting? This is just so tragic no matter what. Even if it were the ceiling and not the snake that killed the kids. How do you live with that? So sad. I keeping finding myself praying for everyone involved.

This has started a snake hate mob. I have had friends calling or messaging me and warning me to get rid of our snakes before they kill our children.

16. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I completely understand!! I really wish that people would do a little research about snakes before they start blowing their mouths off.

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I get it all the time anyways. Its horrible. My mom now even defends me and explains my cages are so hard to get into even she has trouble. Its what happens. Same with pitbulls, too. My pitbull will kill my kids, it will bite them and maim them apparently. If they only knew.

18. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Member

I actually joined the forum to opine on this one. I have twins on the way and my girlfriend is insisting that I sell my snakes before they kill our children. She knows nothing about reptiles and is actually buying into this lazy journalism. What ever happened to investigative reporting? Seems these "reporters" just want to turn in an assignment without actually researching anything.

Very curious as to what is REALLY going on here.

More like it will kill anyone attempting to harm your kids lol.

19. Poison

Poison Elite Member

So far the evidence is pointing to the snake. The children had bite marks and died from asphyxiation.

What kind of snakes do you have, Dangermouse?

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Really? But what would trigger the snake to do such a thing?