This Disappears When Logged In

Python Hunters

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Dragonflies, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Just been watching a Nat Geo show called Python Hunters. It follows three licensed python hunters capturing Burmese pythons in the Everglades. Two of them are breeders, and one is a biologist.

The great thing about this show is that they go to great lengths to shoot down in flames all the hysteria surrounding these animals. For example; the Burms have no natural predators. King snakes take out a lot of hatchlings, so do birds of prey.

In one show they looked into how they became a problem in the first place. Their conclusion was that there are two separate issues. There are those that are found around human habitation, these are in the minority, and are predominantly released or escaped pets. These animals aren't a threat, they always come off second best.
    The majority of Burms out there are in the Everglades, and the source has been attributed to the destruction of a holding facility by hurricane Andrew in 1992 that held about 1000 Burm hatchlings. The problem was recognised about ten years later, which makes sense. It would likely take that long for these snakes to mature, and breed, and reach a population saturation high enough for them to need to spread out.

Fascinating show.

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi Gary,
    My friend is great friends with these guys and when he goes to Florida this summer he is going out with them I am super duper jealous!! I however get to live at his house taking care of all his beautiful animals:D

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm jealous! Wow, sounds like you will be having a great time.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I love living vicariously through my friend LOL he has some awesome animals and I get to enjoy short periods of time taking care of them, but don't have the full time responsibility LOL

5. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Including the financial aspect. One bearded dragon costs enough. LOL

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Kind of like having grandchildren, you care for them for a while then give them back! ;)

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I really enjoy that show! That's one of the big things that turned me to watching Nat Geo Wild rather than Animal Planet..Just imagine how it would be if animal planet was in charge of the show and who to show out hunting pythons..would be a very different and much more negative story..

8. Sujiisan

Sujiisan Well-Known Member

I agree, that show on Nat Geo was so informative, and it really made me want a burmese python lol plus they didn't make the snakes look evil, which really gets me started.

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I love that show also! I appreciate knowing that there truly is GOOD, UNBIASED fact based information concerning these beautiful animals. The only sad thing is knowing most of the snakes caught are euthanized and then dissected to find out if they are eating endangered or threatened animals.

10. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Yeah, that is a little sad, but if the information they are getting helps the situation in any way, I guess it's something that has to be done.

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I agree sometimes things like that HAVE to be done. The hard thing to stomach is to know that every snake has to be killed. Something could be done for the snakes though. I have a difficult time believing that ALL of them have to die.

12. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

AWSOME show!! Alonge with Swamp people and Shark Men

13. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I love Python Hunters, I love how they show the true aspect of animals and not the danger myths. However I fear for this show just like I hate how SyFy has turned Ghost Hunters into entertainment and they seem to try too hard now days then the first 3 or 4 seasons. I guess I will continue to follow Python Hunters and hope for the best. a good friend of mine from church has bought a couple ball pythons from that one guy that shows him in the intro holding the Piebald. He said he really has great prices on his animals.