This Disappears When Logged In

Python Feces

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Lothar, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lothar

Lothar New Member

Hello to all,

During online research about python feces, I found your forum here. Perhaps, you can help me with the following. I am looking for scientific description of python feces. My google search so far was pretty fruitless and unfortunately, the deadline for handing in the article I am writing on comes closer. If you know any scientific (or popular science) articles about that subject, please either send me the references (author, publication year, title, journal name, volume, pages) or even better a pdf of the articles.

Thank you very much for your help!

All the best from Denmark!
    Lothar

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Did you try google scholar? Its pretty useful for finding articles.

3. Lothar

Lothar New Member

Yes, I did... all articles I found with the keywords Python and feces mention the feces, but do neither describe them nor show pictures...

This makes it a bit difficult to cite them...

Perhaps there are any handbooks (can be from terrarium guide books about pythons as well)?

Since I do not have any snakes, I of course also don't have any guidebooks. Unfortunately, tha local library here does not have anything usefull either...

4. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

5. Jeninpa76

Jeninpa76 Elite Member

Well I can tell you that mine looks like a cat took a **** in his cage,lmao. I thought the white hunks of stuff were his feces but then he did finally go & that is what it looked like!

6. Midori

Midori Elite Member

From what I have seen reptile poo is well reptile poo. Brown in color with a bit of white urates next to it.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Do you have access to primary literature databases? You should if you are attending a university. I would try searching for articles in Web of Knowledge because it includes the contents of four other databases when searching.

I've been researching diets of savannah monitors lately and have found lots of articles relating to Python molurus mixed into my search results. The articles regarding feces I have seen typically pertain to reliability of fecal analysis to discern diet. But I haven't actually been searching for these articles so there's a good chance there are others available that are more appropriate for whatever it is you're trying to learn.

May I ask, what about feces? Like, why python feces?

I don't imagine you'll really have success finding pics of feces. Are you looking for a description?

And PS, the "white stuff" you're seeing in conjunction with the feces ("brown stuff") are urates. Reptiles make uric acid instead of urine which allows them to better conserve water and stay hydrated. Mammals lose a copious amount of fluids when excreting urine. So the urates are like pee, so to speak.

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oops sorry. Didn't realize this thread is so old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.