This Disappears When Logged In

Pygmy Bearded Dragon Information

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by GobyMaster11276, May 24, 2017.

1. Hi all, I am new to this forum and this hobby. I intend to keep a pygmy bearded dragon, but like with any pet I am doing my research first. Any information you could provide on them would be great. At the moment I intend to keep it in a 90cm (3ft) enclosure. Is this alright, or is bigger required? Thanks in advance.

2. Also, any information on how to navigate this website would be appreciated as well (I can't seem to find an "active topics" area like other forums, is there one here?)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

At the top of the page there is a tab for new posts. That will take you to a page where unread posts are displayed.
    If you are looking for a particular animal go to the "forums" tab and new messages should be displayed in bold.
    This is a pretty large site so just poke around and explore. There are lots of things too find

GobyMaster11276 likes this.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the care of the Pygmy dragon is quite similar to P. vitticeps as far as temps go, the humidity can be slightly higher.
    A 3L x 2W x 2H (feet) enclosure is a reasonable size for an adult, although I think most fishtanks would not fit that size?

5. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Although the care is very close. Keep in mind you plan on getting what's called a rankins dragon and not a bearded dragon. Never even seen one in person that I'm sure was actually a rankins as without genetics it's hard to be sure. I know they do like the water a tad more than true beardies )

6. Yep, definitely. I intend to have a 2-3cm deep pool thingo in the setup, as recommended by a friend.
    Is that enclosure size the minimum, or larger? Just want to know, because that's probably what I'll go with. Thanks for all the help so far.

7. Also, would you recommend keeping more than one (obviously requiring more room) or an individual (which I plan to keep)?

8. Are heat mats alright to use also, because I have been reading mixed things?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, it is possible to keep more than one dragon in the enclosure although there may be times there`ll be some dominance behaviours (whether both male or both female or even one of each).. The larger the enclosure obviously the more space they have to retreat if need be.
    To answer the other question, I would personally use either an infrared bulb or ceramic heat emitter during the night if the ambient gets get much below 21c (72f).
    You basically need to know two temps during "activity time", the lowest ambient (air) @ approx 24c (75f ) then the surface temp of the basking object @ between approx 40 to 45c (105 to 115f).
    The humidity can range between approx 30 to 50%+, contrary to poular opinion they will NOT develop an RI if the humidity gets over 30%, in the wild the refuges they use normally have a higher humidity than the "outside" air. Queensland (Australia) which is where they originate from is acually in the tropics, although there are drier areas, too.

10. Got it. So I know ambient temperature, surface temperature, humidity, enclosure size. Anything else, even anything very obvious? Any good care sheets, etc? Remember, I am completely new to this.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know any good caresheets specifically about the black soil dragons, but if you`re interested I can give you a book title which should include info on their captive care, the author is a very experienced and knowledgeable Australian exotics vet, I can also give you his contact details (privately).
    Here`s a link to the book, you might get a copy at your library if you don`t want to buy one.
    I`ve contacted Danny a few times and he`s always responded quickly, so if you do want to send him an email let me know I`ll give you his contact details.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...244728&usg=AFQjCNGyI-ogS_NMCSTSlttNLLCdWg3LbQ

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. Will look to get a copy of that. What would you recommend for feeding? I hope these questions aren't getting annoying.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The best way to learn is by asking questions, so no, they are definitely NOT getting annoying!
    The diet is much the same as for the other Bearded dragon species, that is they are omnivores that require a mix of animal protein and vegs/fruits.
    You can offer crickets, roaches, silkworms, mealworms etc, keeping in mind they are not too big to swallow easily.
    Vegs include kale, endive, parsley, carrot, zucchini, beans, squash etc, these should be finely chopped.
    The hatchlings/juveniles will require more animal protein, as they reach adulthood that may change to some degree, adults prefering more vegs.

14. Okay, so I've decided that I will go with a normal beardie instead of a black soil dragon after some research. What are the key differences between eastern and central? Is a 4ft*2ft*2ft enclosure big enough for a full-grown one? Thanks.