This Disappears When Logged In

Putting a STOP to Rattler Roundups. WANNA HELP?

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by rugbyman2000, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

Posted by: rugbyman2000 at Thu Sep 8 21:55:35 2005 [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ]

Hey guys,

Research shows rattlesnake roundup events have a terrible effect on native populations. Snakes are always killed or hurt for a bunch of ignorant people to have "fun". There are currently only seven states where rattlesnake roundup events are legal, TX, OK, KS, NM, PA, AL and GA. Members from Lancaster Herpetology Society, as well as several environmental/wildlife experts across the state of PA are currently preparing to take the issue before Pennsylvania state legislature in the coming weeks or months.

We need all the support we can get to successfully bring forth legislation banning these terrible events. We are looking for letter-writers along with some other ways you can help. If you'd like to find out how you can get involved in this cause, please get in touch.

Thanks for your help everyone!

2. ReptileMan27

ReptileMan27 Elite Member

Rattlesnake round ups are sick and cruel. The idiots that run it try and say it has no effect on the rattler population,lol what a joke. It angers me and makes me sick to see or hear about them on TV.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The reduction of ratlesnakes in human inhabited areas is the reason that is given for the existance of the roundups. This is nonsense since the collecting that is done is usually miles from human habitation. The effect of the round ups on rattlesnake populations are only the tip of the iceberg. Even though it is strictly prohibited by most events the collecters frequently destroy denning areas by digging, dynamiting or pouring gasoline or diesel fuel down the holes. This not only drives the rattlers out but also makes the area uninhabitable for the rattlers as well as other animals that use the burrows.
    I live in Oklahoma and there are a number of towns that hold these festivals. These are often the main money making event for a small town so they are not going to give them up without a fight.

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

this should be main excuse for trying to educate people about snakes.....because if it isnt, more and more rattlers will end up there and possibly the last of a threatened species (eastern diamondback) could pass through one of these slaughters and end up as a boot or a wallet.

5. Will

Will New Member

I live in PA and if you need help let me know. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.