This Disappears When Logged In

Purposely Eating Bark!!?? (among Other Issues)

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Amirra, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Maybe set the UTH under his water on a thermostat to around 85F. When I 1st got Buddy I had him in a small tank until I got his 4'x4'x2.5' temp enclosure done and I put an UTH under his water dish to warm the water up for him. He loved it and it helped with humidity(I didn't use a thermostat but the tank was 1" above the UTH which was mounted to an old picture frame glass.

2. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

Update: Henry ate two zophobas this morning of his own accord. :D I put more zophobas in and took an uneaten earthworm out.

I think his food dish might be too high off the ground for him to get to his food easily. The other one i used was way shorter and smaller, but the zophs crawled out every time so I had to switch to the medium sized kidney dish with the higher lip. Its about 2" high vs the shorter 1" dish I need something short, wide and smooth to fit the food. Anything with a ridge is no good.

(Definitely putting a dig box in the permanent enclosure)

3. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

losing more weight. he was down to 109 grams and then up again to 112 when I got him to eat (sticking them in his mouth one at a time) 3 mealies and 2 zophs.... he was sitting in the same uncomfortable looking position all day until I moved him. I think he got stuck or something.... I won't be able to talk to the vet til monday. I got a fecal today, will it be good enough still by a monday drop off?

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I believe you freeze it. Not 100% on that but pretty sure.

5. DrGreenthombs

DrGreenthombs Member

lol I don't think him eating the bark is as bad as it sounds ........ bark has a lot of fiber in it which isn't bad but I would keep a eye on him ......... but if he is still doing it i would try coconut fibers/shaving as his bedding its softer and less harmful then bark ........................ try veggies, and earthworms mine is not so hot about veggies but it neve hurts to try and I would try the earthworms first because those have a good amout of fiber in them so he'll most likely stop eating his bark .............. these lizards are smart and know what they're missing in there diet ................ hope I helped a little

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.