This Disappears When Logged In

Purposely Eating Bark!!?? (among Other Issues)

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Amirra, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I have no idea about alternating that stuff, I would do what the vet said. As far as the syringe feeding, I would wrap the dragon in a towel and gently put the tip along the sides of his mouth until he opens. It takes time though, and stress. But if he's eating as you hand feed, just keep doing that. I was only thinking if he stops eating.
    I would get that mega-ray asap. It won't "cure" the MBD but it should stop it from progressing, and it gives off great heat too. :)
    Take it from someone who regrets not getting one for their rescued dragon.:(
    Good luck and I hand it to you for doing what is best and trying to make it right! Kudos.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If you can't find the calcium WITHOUT D3 I would order it. When dragons get UVB their bodies produce D3 and to much D3 is bad for them.(I would call a few pet stores and ask if they have the Rep Cal calcium without D3, I see it in every pet store I go into so you should be able to find it without having to order it) As for the dusting, I dust my crickets and roaches everyday, one feeding is vitamins and the next is calcium.

I have a 160W SB Megaray I'm using in a 4x4x2.5(feet) enclosure and the temps run a little high at his basking shelf (97-99F and basking should be 90-95F) and the shelf is 20 inches from the lamp(I bought this one for the permanent enclosure that is going to be 6x6x3 but that project has been put on hold for now) but the temps everywhere else in the enclosure are great. So that being said, if your enclosure is going to be anywhere around the dimensions I've said you can get away with a 100W Megaray and a CHE to make sure the temps stay good (I also have a CHE on a thermostat in case the night temps drop to much but the Megaray keeps my temps fine during the day)

P.S. I wouldn't force feed him if he's eating, it will only cause stress and isn't a must at this point and time

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Herptivite is fine.
    If you don't have access to anything else you can use calcium tablets for humans. You just have to bust them up.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes the Herptivite is great, that's what I use for the vitamin dusting :)

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

here is a link to the MegaRay both Shwknight and I use:

Mega-Ray SB 160 watt Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamp - ReptileUV.

If you don't want to do the polycrilic for your enclosure, check and compare the prices of of stick on linoleum tiles for the walls. They run about 70-90 cents each, or you can buy a roll of the stuff. Seal corners with a tube of silicone ($5) and viola. Breeze to clean. You can still use substrates and mats over top of it too.

6. Merlin

Even then I would advise the use of the polycrylic. All it would take would be a few little places that didn't get covered and the wood would end up rotting.
    And it would be back to square one!

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I agree with Merlin. Even if you only do 2-3 coats it seals great and you could still do the linoleum if you wanted

8. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

If I put linoleum everywhere on the interior where there is wood showing and then do corners and edges with polycrylic, can I still go back later and add a silicone/greatstuff/painted backdrop on the interior back and side walls (I saw lots of cool ideas in the enclosure section)? Or will the linoleum keep anything else from permanently adhering? I figured I'll do the exterior with a waterproof latex acrylic based paint.

Here is my materials list:

The box:

4 - 2x2 inch 5.5 foot beams (vertical frame) (have)
    4 - 2x2 inch 3 foot beams (horizontal frame) (have)
    2 - 5x3 foot pieces of plywood (sides) (need)
    1 - 5x5 foot piece of plywood (back wall) (have, 1/4 inch thick enough?)
    4 - wheels (need)
    a roll of wire mesh for ventilation (need) (what hole size and type, plastic/ metal wire?)
    1 - quart of polycrylic (need) but I found 1 gallon of Thompson's waterseal wood stain, exterior semi transparent. which contains petroleum distillates. can I use this at least on the entire wood exterior of my enclosure? Also my parents never throw extra paint away when they pain the house, so they have a bunch of acrylic latex colors. is this okay for interior to cover linoleum before polycrylic coating?
    1 - roll of linoleum (need)

Update: He ate most of a night crawler covered in reptilife, but I have to literally stick it in his mouth and he chews. He pooped again so I immediately took that for a fecal. It was 1.5 pieces bark (MORE BARK!?!?) and some crusty, sandy manilla colored stuff but had some regular poop too. Still waiting for analysis from vet. Henry was soaking when I got back from classes.

As far as UVB goes, so far I've used a reptisun 5.0 tropical 15watt. I changed it today with a new one. This immediate change to something less than a mega ray is obviously required, yet it will be temporary: I'll add his mega ray when I get it. They are not available in stores around here. Must get online.

As far as the enclosure goes, I'm starting tomorrow morning. Grandpa might have the other piece of plywood I need.

The reason I have all the wood already is because I was "getting around to" building this enclosure about two years ago. Almost there.

9. Amirra

Amirra Elite Member

To add to my update:

Had to order Rep-Cal Pure Calcium at 8.99 and Rep-Cal Herptivite at 14.99 with Beta Carotene from pet store. They should be in by thursday.

I do not like the pet store that I got this stuff from. Its called PetLand. Anyone been there before? They sell lots of designer and overpriced puppies. Most of their reptile stock is overpriced and they carry too narrow a range of supplements compared to PetCo and Petsmart. Petsmart actually had the Herptivite in stock. The only lights PetLand carried were Rzilla (more expensive than reptisun by a couple bucks). I got one equivalent to the reptisun and it was broken. I have to take it back tomorrow. Plus the lights were more cheaply made. They had this rusty stuff sticking out of the edges near the metal ends.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE GREAT HELP!

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You want to put the polycrylic on the wood and then put the linoleum on, and you only have to polycrylic the inside and edges as that's going to be the most likely to get the humidity ;)

Yes great stuff and silicone will stick to linoleum.

I would go with 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood.

For ventilation there are a ton of ways to do it. I would use 1/8-1/4 inch hardware cloth with a vent cover on the outside for astetics;)(just what I'd do tho:p) Just make sure it's escape proof :p;)

Megaray's are ONLY available online. If your using a tube til you get one I would get a Repti Glo 10.0

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Good day. I don't own a WD and therefore can't give advice, but even thou, since I read your post yesterday you have stayed on my mind.

I just want to say that it took a lot of guts for you to admit that you were doing things wrong and only a remarkable person will take advice and fix the problem, people can learn from you.;)

I only have this advice, people tend to be bad owners when the reptile cage is not in clear site or if the cage looks terrible. So I am glad you are building a new cage, but in the meanwhile take your WD and put him where you can see him the moment that you walk into your house or your room. Do the same when he is in the new cage. He must be in clear view of everybody who enters your house! This way you will never forget again.;)

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

1/4 is fine as long as she builds a frame to support it out of 2 x 4s.

And you CAN find Megaray's in stores, just not too many carry them. We have a very good specialty shop here in Baltimore that carries them. Same price as what you would pay for the bulb + shipping.;)

The Gallon jug you found is fine to use on the outside. So is the Latex paint.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

14. Merlin

Do NOT use the Thompsons Water Seal on the enclosure.
    It will not cure out and will make the cage unuseable.

15. schlegelbagel

Even for the outside?

16. Merlin

Yes I have used it on shelving that I made for plants in the backyard and the darn stuff stayed greasy and oily feeling for weeks! And that was outside in the rain!

17. schlegelbagel

Weird, we have it on our deck and its fine. Are you sure you mixed it well?

18. Merlin

Yes. And eventually it did dry out and stop smelling.
    I just would not trust it for any part of an enclosure.

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

True, but 1/2 is a better insulator (and i'd even frame the 3/4 personally :p)

20. schlegelbagel

I realize this, but I think she already has the wood. So its OK to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.