This Disappears When Logged In

Purchasing Crabs

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by portabuddy, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

Oh awsome this gives me a cool starting point... and this definetly wasnt a squid that came up it was a long slender fish, which is what i didnt understand?, but you exlanation makes sense... thank you, so to a petstore i will go...

Also a small update, i got some plywood for free since i didnt feel like useing any of my mdf or good ply for something thats getting throw away anyway, well unless anyone else wonts one?

here is the basic shape that i sketched out of some floor mats, i used some string at first then went to pencle then marker and i cut it out
    [​IMG]

and traced it ont two pieces of crappy plywood. keep in mind that this will be junk and is only used for bending the massive 3/8" thick avrylic into shape. then there will be two 2x2 risers inbetween them and a smooth plastic stapled to the outside of the contraption(cutoffs from truck mudflaps.)
    [​IMG]

and this is the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

2. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Going back to the care issues, I would be cautious housing two together without a divider, they don't get along well in enclosures together.

3. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

i think your right, i will more then likely house one by it self, as they are solitary inverts. i got alot of work done and might be close to finished tomarow so i will post pics then. i need more heat guns and the store closed before i could get them.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Is that a donkey skin on your floor? :eek:

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hey Liz, i'd put money down that says it's a deer rather than a donkey ;)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LMAO! That's a DEER!!

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

never seen a deer with a mane :confused:

8. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

hahaha thats deer, and i have a head to match, well skull....

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm not much help when it comes to custom designing enclosures, but going back to the cuttlebone, Merlin pretty much explained that. Cuttlefish are a relative of octopus and squid, and they have an internal "shell" called cuttlebone, which you can buy at most pet stores in the bird section. It's full of calcium, so the idea is the crabs will nibble on it to get the calcium they need for their exoskeletons.

As for the water, these crabs are from tidal regions and marshes. They *can* survive in fresh water, but do best in brackish. They can probably survive in salt water too, but there are varying mixtures. Brackish would be best, which is basically like having a saltwater set-up, but with less salt. I wouldn't recommend fresh water though.

10. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

ok sure i can do brakish... its a crab only thing so there is no problem there, well even it it wasnt there are so many fish to keep in brakish anyway... like pudders, like some fig.8 puffers or pea puffers(not that i'd keep any with a crab, thats just dumb)... I got two more heat guns for $30 today so i will continue tomarow...

i have a thread going here with lots of pics...

Portabuddy's Acrylic Coffee Table Crab Enclosure - Monster Fish Keepers

EDIT: also, FOUND IT!!! Petsmart.com - Bird: Treats: Polly's Ultimate Cuttlebone

11. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I'm really interested in how this will look in the end. Are you going to remove the black stuff to see into the cage? Or will there be some other way to view the crab?

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is going to be interesting to see the final result!
    As for the cuttlebone, if you have access to a shop that deals in bird supplies you can get just plain cuttlebones that do not have the metal fasteners on them.

13. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

thats just a forming jig for the acrylic, long story short, it will look like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but with a bottom...

14. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

and the process... which is on the other site i linked to, since they allow me to store big images...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That looks really good so far

16. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

^^^ thanks man... this thing is much bigger then i thought, i will be keeping 2-3 crabs in it. its more then big enough.

also tall enough.

17. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

that looks like it'll be pretty awesome looking when its done. good luck with it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.