This Disappears When Logged In

Purchasing Crabs

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by portabuddy, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

Hi my name is Bart.

I would like to get a rainbow crab or two. I have done quite a bit of reading, I have questions that only a community can help me with. I'm an avid fish keeper, with three tanks. One 90 galloon with cichlids, one 60 galloon with community fish, and a 10 galloon for babies. I also have two empty tanks. One is a 73 gallon corner tank, and the other is a 120 galloon that im using for water changes. I also have a 13,000 gallon pond that is still in the works. (50% done)

Is there a section in particular that I can post?

What I would like to do is make a coffee table display for a rainbow crab or two. I would like to keep some firebelly newts with it/them but I don't want to come downstairs one day and find my newts in 10 pieces or missing. I plan on making an island shapped, open topped enclosure about 20" X 30" X 6" tall. Any taller and it will impeed my TV viewing.

What do you guys think?

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

welcome :)
    dont know anything about that kind of crabs but someone will chime in hopefully :)

3. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Usually they say not to mix species in any enclosure. But what do I know!!

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Welcome! And the moderators will move your post if they feel it's necessary.

Sounds like a fun idea, but I'd stick with the one species. I'm not sure what the care requirements are for each of these, but chances are that they're pretty different. Plus, there's always that pesky risk of disease.

Better to start with the one species and make a really nice home for them. I like the idea of a coffee table type cage, though. I don't know anything about the crabs, really, but just make sure they won't be disturbed by traffic or noise.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herpcenter!
    From what little I know about crabs they are scavengers and opportunistc feeders. That means given the opportunity they will kill and eat your newts.
    And if I recall correctly firebelly newts secrete a toxin in their skins so after killing and eating the newt then the crab would die as well.

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Ooh. Ouch. A bit like the cat choking on the goldfish legend, huh?

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i believe they are just like firebelly toads in the same sense. they secrete poison that in an enclosed environment, will kill other enhabitants.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

that they do,,,,, my son had a firebelly newt for years and from what I remember doing the research they are not much different than the toads,,, they will kill the crabs.

9. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

hmmm good to know, then i'll stick with the crab by him self... i bought the plastic today, it cost around $120 for a 24"X36" and a 8"tall by 96"long piece at 9.5mm thick(3/8). i will start a Do-It-Yourself thread on acrylic when i start on the enclosure... i have had newts before of the firebelly variaty and i havent had them poisening the fish when they die? but then again none of them where eating it.

I guess its like lobsters and ocean crabs once they die the secreet poison killing everything around them. but yah come to think of it i have herd of a cat dieing after eating a firebelly newt...

Its going to be a big enclosure i'll try two and if the fish i'll split them up...

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC Bart!

12. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Hi Bart, welcome to HC.

13. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

thanks guys. is there a particular section i can post in that would get more attention about keeping them?

14. venus

venus Founding Member

You can post them in the invert section.

15. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread can now be found in the Invertebrates General Forum.

16. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

Thanks again guys, I like the site already, very friendly, some sites are quite negative...

Cool thanks man thats awesome. I guess its more suited to the inverts forum anyway... I tried to find some materials at work to do this for as low cost as possible. I found some but no plywood, guess I'll buy that? Oh well thats like $20 and another $5 for the 2X2's.

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

What you're talking about are rainbow land crabs, Cardisoma armatum. They have many other common names, and are similar to some other species. Newts wouldn't be appropriate, since the crabs will need a sand and brackish water habitat (more land than water), which is unsuitable for newts.

You can find more info on these crabs here:

http://www.herpcenter.com/invertebrates-general/10494-crab.html

18. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

THEY ARE IN BRKISH WATER??? i thought it was one or the other? either full salt or full fresh depending on where it was raised? thats what i read on a few sites. i'll read the site that you mentioned now. never can have too much info.

edit... hahah no i read that, i googled Cardisoma armatum amd this site came up. its how i found it and why i posted here.

19. portabuddy

portabuddy Member

oh!!! whats a cuttle bone??? it says to keep the crab with one at all times. i found mention to a cuttlefish too. its a long slender fish that burrows in muddy banks.

but i couldnt find anything in any fish mongers or even asian supermarkets(always have weird stuff)

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cuttlefish are a type of squid. Never heard anything about them burrowing!
    And cuttlebone is the bony part of the cuttle fish body. Its the white oval shaped thing you see in bird cages for them to chew on for minerals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.