This Disappears When Logged In

Puffing Out Air

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Ralisk, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Ralisk

Ralisk Member

Hey guys, is it normal for a gtp (or all snakes for that matter) to puff out air while he's out exploring? I don't hear any clicking or wheezing and it doesn't sound labored and there's no water coming out, but occasionally he puffs out air. Am I being overly concerned?
    Thanks
    -Cody

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm going to go with not normal. Mine only make sounds when I touch them and they want to be left alone. Snakes are usually quiet animals by nature unless they feel threatened. I saw your humidifier but what are temps at? You should have a temp in the mid 80s, I do 87. Also have much handling of him are you doing? If you just got him he should be left alone for atleast a week or more. Even if their temper is docile they're more of look at snake. They can become stressed from over handling

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

how long has he been doing this? it could be early stages of respiratory infection

4. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i'd say not normal as well. i've never seen a snake do that.... keep temps and humidity within the herpcenter caresheet, don't handle, and if it stays after a week, i'd call the vet.

5. Ralisk

Ralisk Member

Heat is around 87 during the day where he is and it drops down a few degrees at night. We take him out at night when he's up and exploring, I figure that's when he's most ready to come out and he seems never to mind. We have an exotic vet here in town on the weekends who has a first free visit so I may take him down there just to make sure he isn't in the early stages of RI.
    Thanks for all the info everyone :)

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I strongly suggest letting the snake get use to it's enviorment for a while before handling. Too much handling and stress may leave you wondering why he's not eating later.

7. Ralisk

Ralisk Member

Ok, will do Joey. Thanks for the info!

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

OK I was curious and found your original thread. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. My GTPs make a "puffing sound" when they are disturbed or trying to say "leave me alone". If I'm trying to move them or just doing stuff in the terrarium they don't like, they puff and usually make a body-block muscle contraction to knock my hand away...
    Sometimes my ball python will make a puff/sighing sound when he is straining to climb over something that is not easy, like my shoulder... that sound near your ear can be VERY unsettling.
    I could NEVER EVER take my GTPs out at night... they are fine during the day, but anything warm and moving near them at night is targeted as a potential dinner!!
    Oh I forgot to mention the feeding question in the other post. Feed every 7-10 days at this age. One adult mouse (ca. 30-40g) should be fine for his weight. Don't worry about frequency of bowel movements. Females will hold it for MONTHS, males tend to go almost every week or two. I stop feeding my females if they have eaten 5 mice (35-50 days) without a b.m. and I just wait until they go...then feed them again the day after they go and start counting again.
    You should keep detailed records of feeding dates/weight of food given/number of items fed; dates of bowel movements; dates of shed; length of shed (if you want to keep track of growth) and the weight of the snake (after a b.m.)
    At one glance I can see how many mice my females have eaten between poops, and whether they are gaining or losing weight.
    Good luck! (I think your baby is probably fine -- Sorry I didn't answer sooner.)