This Disappears When Logged In

Pueblan Milk Snake

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by mambaman, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You actually might be better having both lights at one end. You want to have a temperature gradient. In plain english,.. one end is cooler than the other. This allows the snake to adjust its body temperature as needed by moving from the warm end to the cool end. Having one end 80-85 degrees and the other about 75 is ideal however you may be hard pressed to achieve this in that small of a tank.
    What wattage of light bulb are you using in the 2 lamps?

2. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

One's a 60watt regular lightbulb the other is some new kind of spiral light that gives of uv light's its 13 watts. My tank is 30 gallons

3. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Take the UV away, snakes do not need it and there are several well documented cases of UV lights causing blindness in snakes so I urge you to get rid of the UV.

Try one bulb with a higher wattage but put it on a thermostat (make sure it is one designed for use with bulbs, ie it has a dimming effect) to ensure you get the temps correct......85°F directley under the bulb (basking spot) with the warm end ambient of 80°F with the cool end being 75°F

4. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Should I put a limb or something in there for him to climb on

5. Merlin

The spiral UV doesn't even put out much in the way of heat. I would remove it and then move your thermometer around and see what the temps are in various portions of the cage.
    You can put a limb in there if you wish but it isn't necessary. Be sure and sterilize it first.

6. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Would my snake climb on the limb? How do you sterlize it. My snake has been staying in the black plastic thing in the picture is that normal??

7. Merlin

You sterilize the branch by putting it in the oven, about 300 degrees for 30 to 60 minutes.
    The snake may climb on it some or it may not, depends on the snake.
    Staying in the hide is normal. Most snakes are primarily active at night.
    As the snake gets more settled in and secure you will tend to see it out more.

8. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Ok thanks for your help

9. Merlin

Anytime!

10. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Can i breed my snake with a diffrent type of milk snake or diffrent spieces? How can i sex my Pueblan milk

11. Merlin

Milksnakes can be probed by a competent vet or breeder to tell the sex.
    Trying to breed it with another species of milk snakes has two problems.
    1. Milk snakes are snake eaters and one would most likely eat the other one.
    2. even if you did successfully breed them and hatch the eggs you would end up with a hybrid mutt of a snake which would most likely be far less in value than a pure blood species. In addition should such a snake escape into the wild and breed with the wild population you have now muddied the gene pool.

12. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Can a normal vet sex them or do i need to go to one that speiclizes in reptiles

13. Merlin

No, you need someone that actually knows what they are doing.
    If done improperly it can injure the snake or even make them unable to reproduce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.