This Disappears When Logged In

Pueblan Milk Snake Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by cwdiel, Jan 30, 2014.

1. cwdiel

cwdiel New Member

I have a small (about a foot in length) Pueblan that i got at a reptile show on Jan.4. I have tried to feed him several times (about a week apart) with no luck. He is in a small plastic enclosure with a hide box and water dish. The average temp during the day is about 80-82 and at night is 70-72 with very little humidity. I tried at first with f/t pinky mice, then tried "braining" the mice, and last put him in a small cup with the mouse overnight but no luck. Yesterday I found a local shop that had live pinky mice so I tried that, but again no luck. He hasn't lost any weight and is still very active and is drinking water, so I don't know what else to try. How long can he go without food? Could it be because of the winter that they don't eat as much? Help!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suspect its due to your temperatures. what are you using to measure them? The warm end should be 85-90 and steady.

3. cwdiel

cwdiel New Member

Analog thermometer placed in the center/middle of the enclosure

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have tested analogs that were 10-15 degrees off! You need to get a good digital with a probe. You can find them at hardware stores for about 12-15 dollars.
    Once you get your temps squared away the little guy should start eating. The majority of the time when snakes won't feed, temperature is a culprit. Without proper temperatures they cannot digest their food.