This Disappears When Logged In

Protecting Plywood from Damp Substrate?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by MamaGwynn, Jan 5, 2010.

1. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

What is the best (and most affordable) way to protect the bottom of an enclosure from moisture damage. I'm going to have two feet of dirt in my sav's cage and figure the moisture will take a toll on the wood after a while even if it is water sealed.

Thanks!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd put in some sort of liner...

3. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

That's what I was thinking to but I didn't know if there was something better than a regular tarp to use? Maybe the tarp would be the best way to go if I'm trying to be cheap.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest lining it with acrylic such as plexiglass. The tarp will get shredded by the monitor's digging around.
    The plexi wouldn't need to be very thick since it has the wood behind it and doesn't have to support any weight.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I go with Merlin, you can easily fix it together with aquarium sealant too, although I would use 1/4 thickness for the sides, just to give a little extra firmness, and drill holes along the length approx one inch from the top edge just in case the monitor gets a claw into it and pulls it away, they are VERY powerful, as you know!

6. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Hmm I'm not sure I know what you mean by this.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe to use screws to fasten it to the wood?

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I meant that the top edge of the plexiglass which would go around the tank should be screwed into the sides, back and front. So imagine you`ve put an intenal "sleeve"onto the bottom and all around the sides, but because it would be quite flexible on the sides,(even when filled with soil), the monitor could possibly get a claw "behind" the piece of plexi, and quite easily pull the piece away from the wood, so screw the side pieces into side of the wooden tank. (sorry, it`s sometimes difficult to explain in a message), but if I were doing it, I would know what I mean to say!

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Why didn`t I put it that simply?? :D

10. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Ahhhh yes I get it now. For some reason I thought you meant to just put a bunch of holes in the plexi (without screws in them). Duh!!

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good, I`m glad we both know what I mean!