This Disappears When Logged In

Protect Your Civil Reptile Rights

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by mlsslayla, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mlsslayla

mlsslayla New Member

A hobby by definition is :

a subject or plan upon which one is constantly setting off; a favorite and ever-recurring theme of discourse, thought, or effort; that which occupies one's attention unduly, or to the weariness of others; a ruling passion.

the key in that definition is: "a ruling passion"

A business in the same instance is:

is a legally recognized organization designed to provide goods and/or services to consumers

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now with the formalities out of the way we see that these bills like HR 669 and S.373 are threatening our very hobby and business. President Obama has strong convictions about maintaining jobs and fixing the economy. However, a bill like this will kill thousands if not millions of people's financial stability. This is only a small portion of the problem.

Our civil liberties are at stake here, ones that our Forefathers promissed us 222 years ago. "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness". Last I checked a Hobby was somewhere in the pursuit of happiness area as it does make me happy, and I am sure you as well.

Senators and Congressman/women only know 1 thing in my opinion, how to screw up something that didn't need to be screwed with in the first place.

There are other means of achieving the same goal without means of banning 9 species of animals. Florida seems to be having a problem in the everglades, they implemented a law where owners of the 9 listed must maintain a ROC Permit. Well there you go situation fixed, right? No, they [lawmakers] have to push the issue and hold un-scientifically proven data up before those ignorant to the situation to pass into law something that will kill jobs and our basic civil liberties.

Times are hard enough as it is without this.

So lets unite and march To Washington in 2010 and show those lawmakers the numbers of people they will affect should this bill go through. Dr. Martin Luther King did it, Betty Friedan did it, Harry Britt as well and all were heard as the voices of a thousand people rang behind them.

It is time to set our differences aside and band together.

So, strap your walking shoes on cause emails and phone calls didn't work.

The March to Washington and your State Capitol Starts NOW!!

Join the March at Civil Reptile Rights Activist March - Index

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As a Florida Resident, I can assure you the ROC permit does nothing - because there is no way to regulate or check who has them. Vendors and breeders are NOT required to make sure you have a permit to sell you an animal (and why would they? it would cost a sale!) It is the owner's job, and lets face it, those owners who would go to the trouble of obtaining a permit are least likely to dump their animals in the wild.

In essence, this, as with all the other bills they have so far proposed, would only devastate responsible owners, and irresponsible people would continue to illegally acquire and dispose of these same animals.

I also believe the bills are talking about banning at least 9 species (possibly more) as there was mention of putting boas (in addition to just pythons) on the bill. (Unless I'm mistaken!)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Boas are currently included.