This Disappears When Logged In

Prolapse help?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by toddnbecka, Feb 8, 2015.

1. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

We picked up a group of sub-adult Dominican red mountain boas, and the seller gave us one extra male with a prolapsed hemipene. He said it had been out for about a month. Obviously, the snake will be going to the vet to get it taken care of one way or another.
    I was just wondering if anyone had dealt with this issue previously, and if so what the outcome was? Seller said the snake won't eat until it's corrected, after a month I rather doubt it's going to go back into place for a full recovery. The snake is in good condition otherwise.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am surprised it hasn't died, fallen off or become infected. All you can do is keep it moist and I'm not certain if that is even worthwhile at this point, unless he has kept it moist. They may just cut it off at the vets.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The snake should end up ok, but what rich said is right on the money. Has this happen on a yellow ackie, and after several times of me catching it, he did it again when I wasn't home. So he lost one.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

We took him to the vet last Thursday. Got the first shot of antibiotics there (I can't imagine there isn't some infection by now) and a brace of loaded insulin needles to finish the course at home. He's going back Monday morning to have the dead tissue (most of the organ now) removed. I'm just hoping the anesthetic doesn't kill him, that seems the biggest danger at this point. As long as he survives that I rather think he'll live, seems strong and healthy otherwise.