This Disappears When Logged In

Project for My V. Gouldii

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by rtucker0302, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtucker0302

rtucker0302 Member

I have a 9 month old monitor he is in a 55 gallon tank atm but I am planning to build him something that will work for him into adulthood.
    Was thinking about going with a 6x6x6 ( or 8) enclosure. But am sort of unsure about the interior materials , what will and will not get destroyed quickly. Was hoping some more experienced builders could give me some suggestions on this. Money isn't going to be an limiting factor but I have currently set myself a 600 dollar budget. Any ideas or suggestions or do's and don't(s?) would be much appreciated.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Missed this thread. But you want to use 3/4" plywood.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Me too Mike. I would say you'd be fine with 1/2" plywood as long as your going to frame it out well. I'm in the process of retrofitting a couple cage designs with an extra lower section to provide room for a bioactive substrate, and I may go with thicker plywood in those areas, but the majority of the construction is either 1/4" or 1/2". Once you have the "box" built, you'll need to seal it well, and that's where the real durability comes from. Keeping the wood from rotting from humidity will make the cage last basically forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.