This Disappears When Logged In

Project 8'x12' Room Has Begun

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by DragonSlayer, Mar 11, 2015.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That would be sweet.

2. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Got the trench dug for the drain this past weekend. Took longer but was easier than expected.
    Plumbing project this coming weekend.

20150323_123253.jpg 20150323_142936.jpg 20150323_143058.jpg

3. kriminaal

You're ambitious for sure.
    Are you tapping into an existing pipe?

4. DragonSlayer

Yes, there is a drain line about 6 feet from the room to tap into. That is the pipe in the picture. Doing that part tomorrow.

Just ordered an RO system for the fogging system I put together from info on this site.

5. AZgeckos

AZgeckos Member

Just enjoying this thread immensely!!! And I thought I would chime in on color. I really like the colors 445 and 440. I think it would make a beautiful dark, earthy, rainforest effect. And it would be a fantastic canvas for the bright green plants and the the lighter sandy color of your pond rocks. And perhaps the dark color would make the dirt/mess on the floor less apparent between deep cleanings?
    Just some thoughts :) I am a theatrical scene painter and muralist, and OH BOY I would love to get my hands on such a mural!!!! I doubt you will have a hard time finding a student at AI who would be up for it :)

6. DragonSlayer

Well got the drain done and half the room insulated now and should finish the insulation this weekend and hopefully start putting up the concrete board too.
    Paver patio project has slowed the room down some.
    Here a recent picture of Water, he's getting big, 21" and 259 grams +

And here's a skink sunning on the front sidewalk a few days ago.

Attached Files:

7. DragonSlayer

On a side note: water is learning all about construction and will have a career when he grows up. He's in the room while I am working.
    During drywall sanding and painting I will need to figure out what to do with him. May give him the run of the living room if wife doesn't abject too much.

8. kriminaal

Keeping a running tally of the costs? Or like me best to forget in case the wife asks.

Darkbird likes this.
  9. DragonSlayer

Well the pond really jumped the price up, it was $3,000 with filter set up and heater.
    I figure it's going to be around $7000 when I am done.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You could probably throw a couple bed sheets over the current caging to counter the sanding dust, just don't use the good ones. Love this project, hoping to do something like this for a large monitor some day.

11. DragonSlayer

Insulation is done, next the door and then the drywall and concrete board.
    Walter freaked out when I moved all his stuff from one side of the room to the other last week. He went and hid behind the foggier and was very dark when I got him out from behind it. I held him for a while walking him around showing him what changed. When I came back he was walking around checking everything out.

Attached Files:

Darkbird likes this.
  12. DragonSlayer

Walters room has a door now.

Attached Files:

13. DragonSlayer

He stopped eating after a few days for about 4-5 days after this last room move. I'm ready to start the drywall this weekend, but may wait a few weeks to let him de-stress some and get some food back in him.

14. DragonSlayer

Walter eating from the water and my hand.

th_20150714_093605.mp4.jpg

15. kriminaal

That's a very nice door as well.
    Always something satisfying about having a reptile eat from your hand.
    I guess it's like us feeling appreciated for all the care we give them when they do.
    Odd I don't get the same feeling when feeding my daughter. Maybe when she was a baby perhaps. Now that she's almost eleven I don't see the same appreciation ;)

16. skygear

skygear Active Member

Did you use drywall? or bathroom green board? The stuff you use in bathrooms would be the right choice due to humidity.

17. DragonSlayer

Neither, using Cement board on the walls and green board on the ceiling. :)

18. skygear

skygear Active Member

yes. cement board and green board are the ticket. great build. congrats!

19. DragonSlayer

Thanks.
    Thought I was going to die in the heat yesterday carrying the cement board around to the basement. :)

Darkbird likes this.
  20. skygear

skygear Active Member

you finishing off the rest of the basement while you are at it?