This Disappears When Logged In

Project 8'x12' Room Has Begun

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by DragonSlayer, Mar 11, 2015.

1. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

I am in the process of completing a 12'x8' room for my Chinese water dragon as his new enclosure, after months of research and planning the room has been started.
    Here's an in progress picture with the friend that helped me stud the walls out. Walter The Dragon was very cooperative and stayed on his ladder till around 7:00 PM, then I had to pick him up a few times and put back up on his ladder as he was starting to wonder off. He watched us the whole day doing the building.
    20150309_144200.jpg

Here is the pond that is going in the room. (propane bottle is for size reference)
    20150308_173810.jpg

Have a light assembly with four T5 10.0 tubes, four 90 watts halogen bulbs and a 250 watt metal halide being built by Bob and Reptile UV.
    Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

Walls will be cement board coated with ECOS Reptile safe Paint.
    Contacting a Stucco company to see how much it would cost to coat the walls with a rough plaster so he can climb the walls.
    Ceiling will be greenboard drywall with the ECOS paint.
    ECOS Pet Paints

Floor I haven't decided: Either seal the concrete or use a vinyl sheet flooring.
    Would like to acid stain, but that is way too much of a pain inside.
    Does anyone know if I can use a water based driveway concrete sealer in the enclosure?

beruset, TamJam and kriminaal like this.
  2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

"Insert many many not allowed verbs here"
    That will be awesome. So jealous already.
    Concrete sealer I would contact the product company directly to see if it's safe. Of course they won't sign off on it but you might get some good info.
    The stucco I'm thinking you will have to paint or the nails could chip it off and possibly get ingested.

3. DragonSlayer

This is the type surface I am looking for, images of stucco surfaces - Google Search
    It would have a Reptile Safe Paint over it, if stucco is paintable.
    I know they make a stucco paint, will have to stop by a paint store and ask if it is a nessesaty.

4. kriminaal

I had a california ceiling done in my basement and painted a standard benjamin moore paint over it. They did suggest it as a sealer.
    Now I'm not sure if that is the same product as what a stucco product would be.

5. DragonSlayer

They use a thinned drywall compound for ceilings.
    Waiting for a call back to get an estimate, will ask about sealing/painting

6. kriminaal

Are you installing a sub-panel for electrical? Or how are you compensating for all the extra draw?

7. DragonSlayer

The electrical panel is 200 amp, no lack of amps available, just have to use some tandem breakers because I am running out of breaker slots. I am also insulating walls, ceiling and installing a vapor barrier to create less heat and humidity loss.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Like Mike, some of the words that immediately came to mind I can't use here, but that is one heck of a setup your putting together. Curious where you got the pond? Looks like it might be useful for some of the stuff I have planned if I ever bet that far.

9. DragonSlayer

10. DragonSlayer

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I thought so. Seen thkse buysbat Tinley Park a year or so ago, some of their stuff is incredible, and reasonably priced for what your getting too.

12. kriminaal

Looks like a fun project. Always more fun on a grand scale.

13. DragonSlayer

Got a bunch of plants on sale today at Wal-Mart today.
    20150316_172919.jpg

14. DragonSlayer

Going to have to get more, it's not enough 20150316_172500.jpg

15. kriminaal

lol, yea I bet you're going to need a lot more

16. DragonSlayer

Going to a different one this weekend to see what they have.

17. DragonSlayer

Looking at paints for the floor and it was suggested to me by Bob Mac with Reptile UV to use Pool/Pond paint, what are your thoughts?
    Manufacture says paint is non toxic once dry.

Now I need to figure out what color to paint the floor.
    Here's a link to the color chart, any suggestions welcome.
    Color Chart - Lifeguard Paint

Thanks

18. DragonSlayer

Was thinking color # 426 Grand Banks is closest match the the pond.

19. kriminaal

It definitely makes sense to use that paint. Maybe you can use the #426 for the main base and then do some floor murals or something more artistic.
    Or will a lot of it be covered perhaps.

20. DragonSlayer

The ponds take up about a third of the room and then adding plants, so just going solid on the floors. Now the walls, we have a school, The Art Institute just up the road, was thinking of stopping by and asking if they have any students that can do murals. :)

beruset and BrownFoundling like this.