This Disappears When Logged In

Problems with This Blood Are Becoming Annyoing

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by rorycollinsgreen, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey again. Ok, I'm beginning to wonder if this blood knows how to shed. I had the same problem last time with shedding. What happens is that he doesn't "want" to shed. I have no idea why, but he leaves his unshed skin on until I have to remove it and it is getting annoying. The humidity is at 85% right now (I increase it during shedding) and there are heavy, coarse objects in there to rub his skin off, I then leave him alone for a couple days only to return and see him looking like sand paper because he hasn't shed any of his skin off... Should I just leave the skin on him and wait for him to shed it? I don't know how long it would take and I get anxious because i dont want bacterial infections to pop up, plus he is way better looking without the unshed skin. If anyone has an answer to this problem please let me know, I feel like I'm baby sitting. Thank you

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

when you see the skin all loose like that, put him in a very wet towel in a pillow case. He can rub the shed off with that.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you checked your humidity guage? Is it a digital or one of the little round dials?
    Does the snake behave normally othr than this?
    I have never had a snake in shed that didn't attempt to get the skin off!

4. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

Not that it is really the same thing, but my leopard gecko does the same thing! She will hang out in her skin for a while...it looks like a suit she is wearing or something. Almost all of the skin is detached and just sitting on her...and she doesn't take it off until I start it a little for her. I start to peel a little away from her face and then she finishes it from there. It is very odd. Makes me wonder what they are thinking! It has to be uncomfortable and annoying.

5. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

it may be the reptiles particular style (both ur snake and ^^^^'s gecko). my redtail is a problematic shedder as well, but i believe he went a full week after going blue and then only shed half. I soaked him for awhile and eventually helped him out..... but your snake should remove the skin himself eventually. bloods are lighter so the skin will tend to look worse than it would on a darker snake. my redtail looked almost black before he finally shed

6. Thanx for the help everyone, he did finally shed. But it was more in chunks, and I think it is because I set the humidity to high that his skin did not have the tensile strength to remain in one piece. I have another question: My blood is about 2.5 feet long, and weighs almost 2 kg. What size of cage should he require at that size? I am currently using a tupperware container but I have a feeling it may be too small, the dimensions of the bottom are about 1.5 x 2.0 feet. Also, should he require something heavy and coarse in his enclosure to shed his skin? Thanks again. Cheers -Rory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.