This Disappears When Logged In

Problems with Heat/humidity

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by xashax, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xashax

xashax New Member

My boyfriend surprised me with a young female Borneo Blood for my birthday. Needless to say, I was not prepared for such a gift.

Typically, my enclosures are set up well before the critter that will live in them comes home. This time...not so much. So, I've put her in a too small rack box until I can get a proper enclosure set up.

She's about 23 inches long, and it seemed proper to me that she should go in something about the size of a 20g long aquarium. But when I called NERD, who bred and raised her, the person I spoke with said all she really needs is a standard 10g aquarium with a secure lid, set up like a baby BP tank. I emailed Kara (on friday), but havn't gotten a response yet.

I'm familiar with these snakes, and have come in contact with them before, but have never had one (or known anyone that had one) so I had to do the research. Most things I've read says that the temp should range from 78-80*F, with a basking spot of 88-90*F, and humidity levels in the 55-65% range; depending on who you ask, temps should never go beyond 90-92*F, the basking spot should never be higher than 95*F, and under no circumstances, no matter what, should the temp ever fall below 75*F.

Some people say they don't need UV lights, others say they need up to 14 hours of UV light a day. Some people say you should soak them as often as every two days, others say once a week if it's really dry in the house.

Problem is, the information I'm reading is all over the place, and I'm having a helluva time maintaining this in a standard 10g tank.

There's virtually no heat gradient - once I was able to get the temp stable, it was 78.9 on one end and 79.3 on the other - and unless I mist every few hours, the humidity is right around 40%, even with about an inch of spagnum moss on top of repti-carpet, with two clay pot hides (wrung-out natural sponges sitting on top of them), and a plastic dog bowl as a water dish/mid tank hide.

Right now, I'm using not one, but two appropriate sized UTH's: one actually under the tank, and one on the side of the tank, along with a 60 watt heat emitter that's connected to a rheostat and dimmed to med-low.

My questions, I guess, are:

a) Should she really be in a just 10g standard aquarium?
    b) Is it possible to accomplish what she needs in a tank this small?
    c) Do they, or do they not actually need UV lighting?
    d) Is there something I'm missing? How can I get the humidity up?!

I understand that some folks feel that the easiest way to keep snakes is to stick 'em in rubbermaid containers, and while it may be practical on some level, I tend to purchase these critters because I think they're nice to look at...and I like to keep 'em on display. Needless to say, I'm not interested in sticking her in a rubbermaid container.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ten gallons is not sufficient for any type of python as anything other than a nursery tank for hatchlings. You cannot get a good heat gradient in there.

Most pythons are nocturnal - their UV needs are minimal.

You can increase humidity by decreasing ventilation: If you are working with a screen lit, cover part of it with a folded up towel, or plastic (adjust how much needs covering until you get the right levels.) You can also put a water source over a heat source. the heat will help evaporate more of the water. The dish will need filling more frequently, but that's a trivial thing.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm the same way with all my critters. They all have display cages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.