This Disappears When Logged In

Problems...what Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by RigatoCaravel, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Cps, why are you thinking the snake might die?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

the temps are normally what cause a snake to regurgitate. Or handling, don't handle for 2 days after eating.

Glad that he shed!

3. Cps

Cps Member

Only use spring water.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can use tap water and be just fine

5. Cps

Cps Member

Yah idon't have a snake so I might be wrong.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

the only herps with special water requirements are usually amphibians.

7. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

He shed in one piece and he's active again, drinking and running around his cage being silly. So he's acting completely normal now. I'm just going to wait a few more days before feeding him. Any tips on how to remove retained eye caps? He shed the right one, but not his left, and I've heard leaving them on can make him go blind.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Rigato, you can try just spraying him with some luke warm water, or even let him soak in some warm water a few minutes.... (if he will do that) just give it a try.....

9. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

Will do ^.^

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can also put a damp towel and the snake in a pillow case, tie a knot in it, put it in his enclosure and leave him in there overnight. That should take care of any retained shed

11. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Im glad to know all is going well and your snake it back to normal..I know what its like, I got my ball python 2 weeks ago, went through shed on the 4th day I got him and he has not eaten once yet. Im getting a little edgy haha. ;)

12. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

I get all nervous when my animals don't eat or act weird. I'm such a mom.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Every single one of us is like that, or went through a phase like that.;)

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Hi Rigato.:) How many times did your snake throw up, plus are you sure he threw up or did he regurgitate his food?

Regurgitation happens soon after prey is eaten. Vomiting happens hours and even days after, it is when the prey is expelled from the stomach and not the esophagus.

If he regurgitates, the temperature is the first thing to check. Sometimes there is too much action or movement around a snake's cage, and this may cause stress and regurgitation. Another very common cause of regurgitation is when a prey item is simply too big for the snake to handle.
    Feeding snakes very frequently may also lead to regurgitation. You said that you feed every 4 to 5 days, rather feed every 7 days. My Kings can go for months without showing any interest in food.

When a snake vomits, there's a very good chance that it has to do with an internal problem. Many times, vomiting is due to a large presence of bacteria in a cage (especially in water that is not changed regularly) or on a prey item. It may look questionable if this happens and everything else appears to be okay, but bacteria are too small to see, and examining cage cleanliness (as well as cleaning and disinfecting it well) is the first thing to address. If you suspect any other type of parasite, or if vomiting happens more than one time, and it is clearly not regurgitation, I would recommend immediately calling your reptile veterinarian for a checkup and taking stool samples with you.

Both my King Snakes spend all their time inside their water dishes when they are going to shed. I've got skulls inside the dishes and they lay inside the skulls. Not one of them ever liked laying in the water dish if their wasn't something inside.;)

Hope to hear from you soon, I have more questions.:)

15. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hi Rigato, I am glad to see that your shedding problems have been taken care of(except for the retained eye cap) and that is easily fixed. I am sure that with some time and care that your little one will begin eating again without incident. Don't worry about being a worry-wart, with my first 3 or 4 snakes I was a basket case, after that it gets easier.

16. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

I'm definitely a basket case. He vomited, meaning he threw up about 3 days after I fed him. The first was after I moved him, and I probably upset his stomach, the second was 6 hours before he began to shed.
    I just cleaned the cage a week ago (bleach, mite treatment, you name it) so I don't believe bacteria is the problem. I think when I feed a few days from now, when no stressful activity like shedding and me moving him around, he won't vomit.

The retained eye cap didn't come off with an hour bath in lukewarm water...but I can see it loosening. He doesn't seem to want to rub it off himself, so I might try the pillowcase suggestion.

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I agree, try the pillowcase. Please let us know if he vomits again.;)

18. Songlian

Songlian Active Member

Hello! I had similar worries as you did, about a month ago, with my girl's second shedding since I took her. All went fine, and since yesterday we're back in the blue phase. I'm glad your snake shed too and that you've got rid of the mites. Hopefully, you'll be less concerned the next time.

About the retained eye cap, I've never had to do the pillowcase. I don't know if this will help you or not, but here's how things go my way. I have live plants in the terrarium. Live plants have to get wet all the time. The snake likes to dig itself into their moisturised earth and from what I've noticed so far, especially before the shedding. And somewhere during all the digging and all the rubbing against that wetness, all pieces of skin come lose.

But most importantly, if the eye cap does not come off (an advice I have often heard from other people with more experience than me), don't try to pull the eye cap yourself, as it could damage the sensible eye.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Rigato, if you can definitely see it loosening, I think it will come off shortly....but keep an eye on, it obviously. All these things will help you get to know your snake, and what to expect, but they are a worry, I must admit!! When you say the snake was "being sick", there`s a big difference between being sick and regurgitating.....if the pinkie mouse was not digested at all, that`s regurgitated, do you know which one it was? I think you may be getting mixed up? ( Maybe).

20. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

It was all half-digested and icky...so I believe that's vomited and not regurgitated. I'm trying the pillowcase suggestion today, and I gave him some things to rub on, but he doesn't seem to be interested in getting the eyecap off himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.