This Disappears When Logged In

Problems...what Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by RigatoCaravel, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

My name is Rigato, and I've had a 3 month old Mexican Black Kingsnake named Tobaan for about a month. He's male, is about 13-14 inches, and I've been going through ****.

First, when I got him and took him to the vet she told me he was healthy, but he had mites. Ok. We got Mite-Off, sprayed the cage, sprayed the snake, sprayed under the substrate, etc. Did nothing.
    So we got the stuff the vet recommended, Provent-a-Mite. I sprayed the cage (took the water dish and Tobaan out first of course) all the substrate, and the furniture and I haven't had a problem since.

Now here's the issue at hand. When treating for Provent-a-Mite I took him out of his cage and he threw up his last meal (2 days ago). Freaking out, I posted on another forum but got no response, so I looked online and figured it was stress. Waited five days, then fed again.
    After this he went into his blue period for about 5 days (hiding in the half log I filled with moist Bed-a-Beast, then the regular period afterward for about 4 days).

He has not shed yet, and after the blue period I fed him. Just today (4 days after feeding) I woke up and turned his light on to find he had thrown up yet again.

Here's my cage set-up if it will help..

1 Ten Gallon Terrarium
    1 Ceramic heat lamp with 60 watt UVA+UVB white light
    1 Small heat pad (adhered to the cool side of the tank next to waterdish)
    1 Piece of astroturf (non-looped, goes under entire cage)
    2 Pieces African Mopani wood (he's hiding under them currently)
    1 "All Living Things" plastic bridge (uses suckers to adhere to the side of the tank, and makes an interesting basking spot)
    1 Large plastic (faux stone) water dish. (water is filled 1 inch deep, treated with 2 drops of Reptisafe, and my water comes from our well)

Temperatures: 80-85 on hot end, 75 on cool end
    Humidity: 30-40, raised to 50% now that the moist Bed-A-Beast is in his hide.

Feeding one pinky mouse every 4-5 days.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong! I love this snake like my kid, and would do anything to get him happy and healthy again...I'm terrified he's going to die.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Rigato, if he`s getting ready to shed his skin, he won`t want food....exactly how long is it since he`s eaten? The temps. sound fine....

3. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

It's been four days since he's eaten, and he threw up last night.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How long have his eyes been blue?

5. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

They were blue for about five days, and they've been clear for about 4 days.

Staff note: This is a forum. We don't stop posting on the forum and start chatting via email or messenger instead. Thanks.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

And are you sure he hasn`t shed? ( have you had a good look around the tank,) I know it`s only small, but the skin is only a small piece also?

7. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

Let me go check.

EDIT: Nope, nothing. No dead skin, his skin looks normal...how is this possible if he's been through a blue period? Or maybe not enough time has passed?

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m puzzled that you say his eyes now look "normal", does his skin look nice and shiny/new? A few days or so after turning blue, he should be nearly ready to shed? The reason not to feed is that all their energy will be used to shed the skin, rather than digest food, have you tried a live pinkie mouse, and do you handle the snake after feeding?

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

If King Snakes are anything like Ball Pythons, their eyes will turn cloudy, or as you said in this case "blue," and then they will clear up. A few days (anywhere from 2-5 days I believe is normal) after clearing back up, the snake will shed. Maybe he is just slow and will shed any day now... I hope he gets better soon! :(

10. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

Normal as in a very dark brown with black pupils. No signs of shedding eyecaps. I know the skin is supposed to clear after the blue period, but I'm completely puzzled as to why he's gone from black, to steel blue, to black again. There's no shed skin in the cage. The only thing I see is the skin around the edges of the scales looks reddish.
    I don't feed live, he's always accepted thawed before...I'm afraid of the baby mouse hurting him.
    I handle the snake after feeding, but in 2 second intervals to move him from his feeder cage to the regular cage.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think like Katt says, just wait a few more days, I really don`t think you`ve done anything wrong, and I`m pretty sure he won`t die! ( I know it 1S very worrying for you,) it just shows you care very much what happens, just keep us all informed over the next few days...
    Good luck!! :)
    Stefan

12. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

He's out of hiding now, and rubbing against the mopani wood, which I'm told is normal behavior. I hope he'll recover and I'll keep you guys posted.

EDIT: Ill not feed until he sheds...but him going 8 days without food is going to make me go into mommy worry mode XD

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If he`s rubbing against the wood, it sounds as if he`s ready to start shedding! :)
    P.S. 8 days is no problem for a snake!

14. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

He shed ^.^ The skin came off in one united piece except for one eye cap.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

when you de-mited, did you take out EVERYTHING, bleach EVERYTHING, and thoroughly rinse EVERYTHING?

sometimes residual toxins can linger, and if you feed in the cage, your snake might be picking up some of these.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sheesh! i have a python that goes 4-5 months every winter!

17. JohnC

JohnC Elite Member

I would advise you not to feed again until 10 days after his last regurgitation, to enable his stomach to go back to normal.

Being without food for weeks at a time will do no harm to your snake, you are worrying un-necessarily.

18. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

I washed everything, baked everything, washed with bleach THEN sprayed Provent-a-mite on everything except the water dish and Tobaan until I was blue in the face. Those little buggers aren't coming back.
    I feed in a separate cage that I wash every time I feed him. I try and keep everything sanitary.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Rigato, I`m really pleased to hear he`s shed! Now you will know what to look out for next time, I`m not sure about waiting 10 days before feeding again, the fact that the animal regurgitated a pinkie mouse within hours of ingesting it won`t have done anything much to his stomach, but no need to worry if he doesn`t want to eat for a few days! :)

20. Cps

Cps Member

I'm not sure, because I don't have any any snakes, but I think that you should only use spring water. I really hope that he doesn't die. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.