This Disappears When Logged In

Problems Keeping Dubias Warm Enough

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by KDK241, Sep 7, 2012.

1. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I have my breeding colony of dubias in a 20 gallon rubber storage bin with 2 large under tank heaters and I can't get the temp above 82*! I tried putting one on the bottom and one on the side and they got to 78, one on both sides got it up to 80 and I even went as far as putting one on the bottom and one inside the lid and it got to 82...that also happened to be the temperature in my house so that didn't help much at all. The heaters work, they get very warm but not too hot and I have them stuck flat with duct tape to help hold them on better. What other options do I have? I'm almost out of my feeder colony and need some baby makin to go on :p

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How is your bin set up? Thermometers? Etc.
    Got photos?
    Sounds like you may have either too much ventilation or your thermometers may not be reading right.

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't heat mine at all- I have found that keeping fresh food increases production more than the heat.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. You shouldn't be having any issues.
    Could be an incorrect temp reading.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Ditto on temp readings, if you are not getting accurate temperature readings because of type of thermometer you are using. I don't have any heat on mine right now, and I can't get rid of them fast enough, they are breeding way too much for me.

6. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I've checked it with 3 thermometers (Acurite digital indoor/outdoor) and they all say the same thing so I don't think that's it. I did have kind of a large hole in the lid so I taped off about 90% of it and then realized that there was a hole in the bin where the hand holds are so I taped that off. I'm pretty sure that's the big reason why it wasn't staying warm. I also kept the heater on the inside of the lid and put the other one underneath. I got the temp up to 86*, now its all about keeping it there. :)

My problem is that I'm trying to make them breed. That's pretty much a guarantee that they won't at my house :p (Seriously, I can't even get guppies to breed)

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You only need temperatures to be 80-85°F for optimal breeding temps! I know that mine isn't even that hot

Do you have any ventilation, put up a photo of how you are keeping them! And where do you live in the US

8. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Try putting something below that will help insulate, like maybe foam board or something? Make sure there is a gap though. I have my dubia bin in a corner closet in my spare bedroom with a little space heater with a thermostat (Amazon.com: DeLonghi DFH132 SafeHeat Fan Heater: Home & Kitchen) on it. Keeps it in the high 90's. Doubles as a sauna... Closet is decently insulated so it doesn't use excessive energy.

9. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

You need ventilation! It's imperative! If you need babies, you need a bunch of adult females (2 months old), at least a few adult males, and citrus. I use ruby red grapefruits when I need a boom. I just cut it into sections and put it in. I would also use a bigger tub. Mine are in a 35 gallon right now. They are under a lizard tank, and directly beneath a heat pad, and they stay at about 78F-80F, and I still have breeding. Food is more important than heat. Plus, too hot (90F), and you'll get dying off.

10. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Agree with above posters, you MIGHT consider the possibility of an inaccurate temp reading.

However, if your house does get exceptionally cold (I know how it can be, I can't even sleep if it is above 69F in my house haha), here's how I construct my dubia boxes:

1. 45gal sterilite bin
    2. 1/4" stryrofoam insulation on the outside bottom.
    3. 2x 2'x11" strips of flexwatt, wired to a rheostat. Strips are mounted to the outsides of the box. I hide my wiring under the lip of the box and mount the rheostat to the end of the box, you can do whatever you like depending on how OCD you are :)
    4. 2'x11" pieces of 1/4" styrofoam insulation are used on the ouside of the flexwatt.
    5. Entire box is layered on the outside with reflectix insulation.
    6. Basket holding a container of water is mounted to the SIDE of the box on the inside so that it is heated directly and humidifies the interior better.

This sounds overkill to some, but... it is extremely efficient. I can keep the rheostat fairly low, I just check the thermometer once a day to make sure something hasn't gone wrong.

Even with night time temps hovering between 67-70F, very drafty due to chilly AC, the inside of the box remains in the low to high 80s.