This Disappears When Logged In

Problem With Fire Skink, Possible Shed Issue?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Maxwell, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Hi I am a new owner of a fire skink (her name is Azula). She has been buried and I have had to dig her out to handle her. I noticed she had some flaky skin so I think she is shedding however I don't know how long this process takes and I am concerned. I have read that it only takes about 24 hours but it has been 3 or 4 days of this behavior and she missed her feeding day yesterday. Is this a shed issue and if so, what do I do to fix it?

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

I am positive she's trying to shed because she is scratching and her coloration is dull. But I am just concerned about how long this process takes

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

What is your temps and humidity? If you can get a pic of her that would help.

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

The temp on the hot side sits about 80 and on the cool side it's just below 80 and it's a little hotter on her basking rock. Humidity is at 70% on the cool side and drops to 40% on the hot side, she is in a 20 gallon tank right now.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Alright thank you!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view?

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

I can do that after I get back from work; I just switched out my 75w day bulb for a basking bulb so hopefully that will help temperature wise.

9. Cactus Jones

Cactus Jones New Member

Do you supply D3 and have a uva emitting bulb? And also the basking area should be around mid 90's not 80's. And as long as you're doing that and the humidity stays around 60% it should not have any shedding problems anymore :)

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

I do supply d3 and I just checked on her today and she is halfway done with shedding :) thank you all for your help and I will post pictures when she's completely done shedding