This Disappears When Logged In

Problem With Cali King

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Calico, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Calico

Calico New Member

Hello all, i just got a 1 yr old female cali king from my cusion 2 weeks ago everything was fine brought her home she settled nicely. the next day i was handling her np but noticed some of her scales looked like they had dried skin on them. fed her for the 1st time a week ago and she ate 2 rat pups on saturday 11/17/12 and 3 or 4 days later showed signs of shedding. a week has passed and she still has not had a bowel movement or shed, so i decided to give her a bath thinking it would help and nothing. also now scale wrinkling has apeared on her head and in some spots a few scales are not as tight to the body as the rest. i am not new to having snakes, had corns in the past. i dont have everything that is needed yet but got the basics just missing the device for messuring temp/hummidity and the heating pad for under the tank. she has been hiding in her half log a lot. she ate only one rat pup this week. what should i do?

2. herpsnherbs

herpsnherbs Active Member

It sounds like she might be cold. What are you using for heat source? First thing I would do is stop feeding her. At least until you are sure she has had a BM. Keep the warm baths but be sure she is dry when done before putting her in a small clean enclosure (plasic conainer with ventilation works well) lined with paper towel and place the snake in the warmest part of the house, use a space heater in a small room if your house is cold. (Do not place space heater to close, just use it to bring up the room temp.) Rub a little mineral oil on the effected scales. Dont worry about eating so much you wont starve her. In the mean time while she is in your homemade hospital you can give her cage a really good cleaning and make sure its nice and warm and dry with clean water for her to come home to.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you do not have a thermometer then you do not have "just the basics". You have no way of measuring the temperatures in the tank. This is imperative. Exactly what are these basics you mention. How have you got the tank set up and how are you heating it? Pictures of both tank and snake would be helpful.

4. Calico

Calico New Member

she had just shed yesterday and pooped, cleaned out the cage cleaned everything . just never had experienced a snake taking this long to shed before, my room is usually hot enough because there is no installation on the pipes but i do use the heating uv day and night bulbs.
    this is true i agree but i do have a dual bulb lamp one item for her to climb and hide in as well as humid box and the half log. just so happened to be a last min thing for me to take the snake cuz she wasnt taking care of it but not to shortly after that i got hurt on the job so kinda hard right now floating in between no pay and worker's comp

5. Calico

Calico New Member

is there a specific brand i should use?