This Disappears When Logged In

Preventing Bites: Help Please

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Wow, that would have been scary! 11 feet of snake is no joke! I am glad you could reach the alcohol. Out of curiosity, is there any specific type of alcohol, or does anything work? I am thinking of say rubbing alcohol vs Vodka vs Rum vs oh a Beer or something. Just curious. I would think rubbing alcohol and Vodka might work, but rum is sugary...it is still hard though... anyone know the specifics on that?

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I would think pretty much any alcohol except for beers would work because it is the vapors that burns their mucous membranes (the nose and mouth), and causes them to let go. I have heard of some people using Jack Daniels but that to me is a waste of good alcohol. I prefer to use a bottle of discount store rubbing alcohol around my snakes.

3. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

David,
    I once saw that in a tv program in which a guy was almost totally immobilised by his boa constrictor (or maybe was another constrictor...I just remember it was huge) while handling it alone. He had the presence of mind to reach for a bottle of alcohol (drinking alcohol) and purred it on the snake head, who let go immediately.
    My question is: does the alcohol damage the mucous membranes of the snake? What about his eyes? Of course one in a similar situation can just think about his own safety, but I was wondering if the alcohol would permanently damage the snake.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Pouring alcohol directly on the snake should not cause any lasting harm to the snake's mucous membranes. It basically is an irritant(much like an ammonia inhaler is to people when they pass out). The snake's eyes are covered over and as chlorine in a swimming pool does not affect their eyes, neither should pouring alcohol over their heads. I am not advocating the actual pouring of alcohol over a snake's head, usually just setting the bottle under it's nose should be sufficient to cause it to let go, but when you're fighting for your life, you do what you have to.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Beer or wine wouldn't work. It has to be hard alcohol (spirits).
    And the advantage of drinking alcohol over rubbing alcohol is rubbing alcohol is toxic. Either will work but you don't have to be concerned about the snake swallowing a bit of the drinking variety. And the rare occassions that I had to use it, just sitting it in front of it wasn't enough. It had to make contact with the snake's nose and mouth.

6. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

We have an abundance of rubbing alcohol, and don't usually keep the "spirit" kind. In preparation of handling my rtb, because he/she tends to be more moody in the beginning, because I didn't understand completely the method discussed of alcohol, I would keep soggy cotton balls in the side container as a "just in case" and planned to just use it on "our side" of the biting teeth. . . However, I have a lot of help, my oldest boy and even twins are there, even if just to quietly watch from the farthest corner. I don't want them to be over-zealous, yet at the same time, I don't want them afraid. It is necessary to say that none of us, yet, have been latched on to, but because if our rtb ever seems too tense or moody, we don't completely remove him from his cage, nor do we over handle him. I do worry of not encouraging more, but it is a slow process for us. . . We've have good days and then not so good days, but he has only struck the one time. Our bps have yet to strike. The only thing that we've ever had with them is the male hissed loudly when we first got him at my hubby for trying to manuvure him around. . . No other time and at no other point have we had to worry about them, rather, yet.

7. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

The rtbs are so much more different in their temprament than the bps. . . but they are still manageable. Ours, I find, needs to be reassured and handled by either me or my oldest long enough prior to any one else, if any one else at all. . . He/she just still seems to not be trusting at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.